Saturday, February 04, 2006

one lump or two?

Today (I'm writing this after midnight and really should be in bed) is the semi-annual children's flea market at the elementary school so I'll be abandoning my housewifely duties to go down there and supervise unruly kids, serve coffee, juice and cake and clean up afterwards. Hey...wait a minute...

The proceeds from the sale of refreshments are going to buy new books for the library, but seeing as the library ladies, myself included, are providing the majority of said refreshments, I could actually just slip them five euros and stay home, right? But I don't think it works that way.

So this means digging out the coffee machine from the basement (we rarely drink coffee at home) and making up a big thingie of java to take with me. But what is that 'thingie' really called? Hmm, after googling a bit, I find that it's known as a 'thermal carafe' in sophisticated circles, but that just sounds so uppity, doesn't it?

I also made a lemon tea loaf which I am desperately trying not to sample right now. It's so easy and really, really good. But you MUST follow the instructions otherwise you will be stuck with a sticky mess not suitable for impressing guests and significant others.

Lemon Tea Loaf (from Lighthearted Everyday Cooking by Anne Lindsay)

1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup soft butter or margerine
1 egg
2 Tbsp. low fat plain yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
Grated rind of 1 lemon (about 1 tsp)

Glaze:
Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 Tbsp.)
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Line 8 x 4 in. (1.5 l) loaf pan with aluminum foil (don't skip this step or you will pay dearly!); grease lightly.

In large bowl, cream sugar and margarine/butter. Beat in egg and yogurt; beat in milk. Mix flour and baking powder; beat into egg mixture until blended. Stir in lemon rind.

Spoon into prepared pan; bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 1 hour or until cake tester inserted in center comes out dry. Let cake stand in pan for 3 minutes.

Glaze:In small bowl, combine lemon juice and sugar, mixing well; pour over top of warm cake.

Lift foil and cake together from pan and place on rack. Loosen foil and let cake cool completely before cutting.

Makes 16 slices.

4 Comments:

At February 04, 2006 8:50 PM, Blogger Betty said...

Sounds wonderful! I'm going to a get-together tomorrow at a vegetarian house and planning on celery sticks stuff with peanut butter/speadable cheese. You are very advanced!

 
At February 04, 2006 9:17 PM, Blogger christina said...

Betty! - put raisins on those and you'll have ants on a log! I made celery with peanut butter here once and everyone looked at me like I was an alien. More than usual, I mean.

They want cake or nuthin'.

 
At February 06, 2006 1:00 AM, Blogger Dixie said...

Oh I love lemon stuff! I have to make this bread!

Can I use Backpapier instead of foil?

 
At February 06, 2006 2:47 PM, Blogger Antipodeesse said...

I make a very similar loaf, but throw in a handful of blueberries (fresh or frozen) just for a change now and then!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.