Saturday, February 04, 2006

no comment or when life gives you lemons

I think my comments are broken. I got a bunch for the last post at my gmail address but they're not appearing here. Blame it on Blogger. In the interest of good public relations I'll just go ahead and comment on some of the comments that didn't show up.

Kiwi said, "You realize of course that now I want to make that cake without the foil just to see what happens."

Well that's the rebel in you, isn't it? :-) The foil just makes it so much easier because after you pour the glaze on, the lemony goodness is supposed to soak into the cake and loosening the foil a bit helps it. If you just did it in the pan and let it cool I'm sure you'd get a big sticky mess that would be really difficult to get out.

Karen said, "Thanks for posting that recipe - I'll have a go at it since I ruined my last cake."

This one is almost impossible to wreck, Karen, as long as you use the foil! It's really more of a quick bread and doesn't keep that long, but the lemon glaze makes it nice and moist. :-)

Lisa said, "I think the peasants call it a "thermos". "Thermal carafe" sounds so much better. Thanks for the recipe! I love everything to do with lemons."

Oh, but it's so much more than just a thermos! It's all shiny and has a spout and a handle and everything. I guess you could also call it an insulated coffee pot. I love lemons too. The lemon and sugar glaze makes the cake all crunchy and irresistable.

euro-trac wrote, "Hi there, you haggis bashing queen you! (is there no end to your talents!?)"

This is going to confuse so many people. I love it! And yes, I seem to be discovering new talents every day. Who know's what I'll come up with next. ;-)

mar said, "Hope you make lots of euros for the library."

Thanks, Mar. I didn't count exactly how much we made, but it looked pretty good and there was tons of cake there.

CanadianSwiss said, "Have fun that te flea market.. What are the kids selling? Old toys or books?"

Yep, toys, books, computer games and assorted other stuff. I think they bought more crap than they sold, though.


We all had fun, but it was just a bit too much socializing for my introverted self and after I got home I had to lie down for a few hours to recover from all the excitement.

And just to prove that men are all the same, no matter what nationality, this was my first interaction of the day.

Me: Hi! What can I get you?
Good Lookin' Father: Good morning! I'll have a coffee, please!
Me: OK...oh...sorry, we only have these flimsy plastic cups at the moment. Someone's gone to get the styrofoam ones if you want to wait.
GLF: Oh, that's OK, I'll just take a plastic one.
Me: Well, if you think so. Owww, that's hot! (almost burns fingers while juggling cheap plastic cup) Are you sure you can carry this?
GLF: Hey, I can take the heat, I'm a fireman! Ha ha ha ha ha!
(Walks off stirring coffee with his thumb)

13 Comments:

At February 05, 2006 6:12 AM, Blogger Nyana said...

tested an aprroved. Christina has officially become one of the persons whose collection of recipes i want to go through!
Christina:you should bake more (on the condition that we get the recipes.)

 
At February 05, 2006 11:00 AM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Stirring the coffe with his thumb? Right. But when he gets a hint of a cold, it probably sounds like: "Oh dear, I think I have a very high fever." ;-)

 
At February 05, 2006 11:17 AM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

A good looking fireman- who'd a thunk it?

Surely running away with a good looking fireman is an option! ;-)

 
At February 05, 2006 12:58 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

blogger has been one big gibble up for two days now. I hope they get this all straightened out soon.

I would make he cake if I had an oven. A friend of mine uses her toaster oven all the time but I am a little chicken shit. ;-)

 
At February 05, 2006 1:50 PM, Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Firemen are sooo hunky!

 
At February 05, 2006 2:54 PM, Blogger christina said...

Nyana - Why do I feel the urge to yell "Hey you, get your hands off my recipes!" ONLY KIDDING! They're not mine anyway, just some I've tried and found to be pretty fool proof.

CanadianSwiss - Ahh, with three males in the house I could tell you long, long stories about what men are like when they get colds. :-)

Ms. Mac - If he had asked, I might have considered it, but I think he was just using me for my advanced coffee-pouring skills. ;-)

Andrea - No oven!!?? Ooh, that would be quite the challenge. I'd be wary about doing anything more than grilled cheese in a toaster oven, I think. I don't trust those things.

Mr. Fabulous - They ARE hunky, aren't they? My brother is a fireman and he gets all the girls and then some. Fighting them off right and left.

 
At February 05, 2006 3:26 PM, Blogger Haddock said...

Blogger did go a bit weird yesterday. I lost some comments and a picture from a post. All seems ok today though. :)

 
At February 05, 2006 4:07 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

it happened to me as well.
I think it's working again, though...

 
At February 05, 2006 7:28 PM, Blogger Nyana said...

I missed the part where he stirred the coffee with his thumb.
Nice and clean coffee vs. Power tripping to the polite lady who is serving coffee? People are interesting...

 
At February 05, 2006 9:07 PM, Blogger euro-trac said...

Hehehe! :-)
***
Yeah, the comments did go weird!? Glad you got it though!

 
At February 06, 2006 3:10 PM, Blogger Antipodeesse said...

I'd like to request you post a pic of your brother (in his uniform of course!)

 
At February 06, 2006 3:45 PM, Blogger christina said...

Antipo - He'd never agree to it (he doesn't even know I have a blog) and actually, he's so wide that he'd fill up the whole screen!

 
At February 06, 2006 4:03 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Comments WERE broken, Christina, because I could swear to God I left you a comment on that wonderful Lemon Tea Loaf--something about since I don't bake any more, I'd have to give the recipe to my daughter to have her bake it for me!!! That was the day (Friday) when I left Hannover for Atlanta and did indeed notice weird things going on with Blogger!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.