Monday, January 09, 2006

January 9th is the start of MY new year

Our much-loved but very noisy children started school again today so I've been dithering around all morning not knowing quite what to do with myself. Oh, I have plenty to do, I just don't feel like doing it.

But how about those new year's resolutions, eh? I tend to make resolutions every day rather than saving them up for the end of the year. But I do think January is a good time to start afresh and take stock of what's OK and what needs to be modified or improved.

If you haven't made any resolutions and still want to but can't come up with anything, you can always use the Random Resolution Generator that I found through Lynn's blog (go and check out the beautiful photos on her photo blog!) and had to try it. I just kept clicking until I found the ones I liked best.

In the year 2006 I resolve to:

1. fill my house with chocolate pudding.
2. get a(nother) invisible friend
3. poke a badger with a spoon
4. blame Canada
5. dare to stick my tongue on that icy pole (as opposed to that icy Pole? Ed.)
6. generate more bad karma
7. sleep my way to the top
8. take over the world
9. point and laugh more
10.stop checking my e mail at 3 in the morning style
(Get your resolutions here )

Well, those are just for fun, my real resolutions are much more mundane and boring:

1. Plan and shop for meals more than two hours ahead
2. Be nicer to my husband
3. Exercise, dammit
4. Meditate every day
5. Make some new real-life friends
6. Read, read, read

Hmm, let's see how it's going so far. Well, I could still stand to lose 15 pounds or so and I have no idea what we're having for dinner, but I'm doing really well on the reading part. My mother sent me The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood, one of my favourite Canadian authors, for Christmas and I'm enjoying it very much. It's Ms. Atwood's take on the the Odysseus myth from the point of view of Odysseus' wife Penelope. If you like myths, you'll love this one

In anticipation of the movie Brokeback Mountain which is already out in the U.S. and will open in theatres in Germany in March, I also just bought two collections of short stories by Annie Proulx, whose writing I have always enjoyed. Both Close Range and Bad Dirt centre around life in Wyoming, the first book containing the Brokeback Mountain story. I'll be interested to see what kind of a reception the film gets in Germany.

Must go now - laundry is calling...

But before I run off , a couple of pictures from this morning when the sun was just coming up. Everything was covered with frost and the effect was so monochromatic that I almost thought I was looking at the whole neighbourhood in black and white.





17 Comments:

At January 09, 2006 12:57 PM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Luvly!

Hehehe, since my university starts in the afternoon anyway, I just carry on with my days as though I were still on holiday. Been sitting here knitting, reading blogs, surfing the net, knitting, knitting, watching TV, updating my iPod, knitting....*LOL*

 
At January 09, 2006 1:08 PM, Blogger christina said...

Elemm - you've been living the life of a German hausfrau without even knowing it! :-) :-)

 
At January 09, 2006 1:41 PM, Blogger jen said...

not a hausfrau. lady of leisure, lady of leisure.

I have to learn to knit. I found so much beautiful yarn shopping with my sister.

i'm back lady. hope you had a great christmas/new years. I'll send off a e-mail to you this week.

 
At January 09, 2006 1:56 PM, Blogger In Actual Fact said...

Happy New Year! I didn't start my New Year until mid June last year, so you're in good company and as for resolutions, I resolve to stop running for the first two weeks of the year, but I always crack...

 
At January 09, 2006 2:13 PM, Blogger christina said...

Jen - YAY, you're back!! Lady of leisure, right. Must remember that when people ask me what I do all day.

actual factual- well June sounds as good a time as any to start the year.

 
At January 09, 2006 2:15 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

Hey thanks for stoping by.
I have tons of family in germany, most are in the area outside of Bonn (cant spell it hehehe) Have unfortunatly never visited but my father and sister did.
Noticed that you are a foreign wife. have you ever checked this out:
http://www.foreignwivesclub.com/
I love these ladies.

 
At January 09, 2006 2:28 PM, Blogger christina said...

Hi Andrea and thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

 
At January 09, 2006 3:53 PM, Blogger James said...

Hi Christina,
I saw Brokeback Mountain with my Lebenspartner (my new favorite word in German), Matthias, before we left San Francisco. There was so much hype over this movie and when we went to see it we could not wait for it to end. It was ok, but very long and rather boring. I hope it wins all kinds of awards so that more people can be exposed to gay people and maybe it will make this world a better place for gays. Just do not go out and rush to see this movie. The slang in the movie is probably going to be very hard to translate or dub into German. We´ll see. Take care and I am glad you will have more time to yourself with the boys in school now. :) More later...

 
At January 09, 2006 5:15 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Loved the 2006 resolutions link! And don't worry about dinner... During the week, I never know until I'm doing my groceries - mostly because I do that on my way home from the office, about 1/2 hour before the stores close :)

 
At January 09, 2006 5:37 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

I would love to help you meet at least one of your resolutions, Christina, by meeting you in real life one of these days when I'm in Hannover. Virtual is good but real is even better! I would love that (see my e-mail message).

 
At January 09, 2006 9:08 PM, Blogger christina said...

James - thanks for the review! We'll see how it's received here. If our Cinemaxx doesn't show it in English I probably won't bother seeing it until it comes out on DVD. German speaking cowboys just don't do it for me. :-)

canadianswiss- I know, but I have all day to do it and still never get around to it. It's a wonder they don't all starve.

ginnie - Excellent idea - I'd enjoy meeting you too. I'll be mailing you ASAP.

 
At January 09, 2006 11:39 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

Would it annoy you too much if I told you that I plan menus for up to a week? Sounds like I'm all together in that area but it's really not more than B and I sitting around and me eventually saying "What do you want to eat?" and we plan it out based on what we have on hand and what we haven't eaten lately. Plus what I cook normally lasts for two days so I'm only really planning about three meals a week.

You know Magdeburg isn't so far away form you. Maybe we can meet up somewhere and have lunch and stuff. Very lady of leasure to do that.

 
At January 10, 2006 3:20 AM, Blogger Betty said...

I'm just dropping by to say HI and wonder how you change the heading picture on your blog.

By the way, a local columnist here reviewed Brokeback Mountain just to say it wasn't as good as Dawn of the Dead, which he loves.

 
At January 10, 2006 9:09 AM, Blogger christina said...

Dixie - No, it doesn't annoy me at all! I'm in awe of people who do that. It's just too easy for me to pop down to the supermarket several times a week and see what looks good. If I lived in the tundra or something and could only go shopping once a month I'd do much better.

And yes, we should definitely get together some time!

Betty It only took me a to figure it out! I will send you detailed instructions. Remember the days when we used to think HTML meant "how to make lunch"? :-)

 
At January 10, 2006 11:49 PM, Blogger Tim Rice said...

You know, I generally make a New Year's resolution to not make New Year's resolutions. And I think I do a pretty good job of that. As for meals, I usually don't decide what I'm going to eat until I'm ready to prepare the meal. Of course that limits me to whatever foods or ingredients that I regularly keep on hand.

Your pictures of the frost on the trees does look quite monochromatic. I'm thankful though that the world is much more colorful than that.

Enjoying your blog.

 
At January 11, 2006 8:38 AM, Blogger christina said...

Hi Tim - well, I'm assuming you don't have a husband and two kids to cook for so that would make it a bit easier. :-):-)

Yeah, good thing the world isn't really black and white.

 
At January 12, 2006 5:04 PM, Blogger James said...

Christina, would you send me the same instructions on how to change the photo at the top. I think it would be nice to have that, too. THANKS! James

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.