Friday, January 13, 2006

cold hands, warm heart

Brilliant sunshine outside today, although it's still quite cold, 1°C to be exact, 33.8°F for the metrically challenged. Cold enough to be able to see your breath and make you actually consider wearing that funny hat your mother sent you last year for Christmas.

These past few days we've been hovering around -3°C to -5°C during the day and that didn't suit me at all. I've since discovered why, but that will come later in this post. When I get cold, I get really, really cold. My internal thermostat broke long ago and I'm often freezing when others are perfectly comfortable. To make it even more fun, when others are putting on sweaters and heavy socks, you'll often find me wiping my brow and complaining about the heat. It's just the way I am.

Last weekend our lovely duplex neighbours invited us over to finish up the rest of the Glühwein. Because after Christmas is before Christmas, right? I was still getting over my marathon cold, so instead of drinking Glühwein, I brought my own wimpy hot lemon drink with me, figuring that cheap red wine with a shot of rum probably wouldn't do much for my immune system.

Thinking back, maybe I should have drunk that Glühwein after all, because after an hour of standing outside on the freezing cold patio, I was chilled to the bone. I couldn't warm up even after we came home and the feeling lasted all week. It was like I had a block of ice inside me that was slowly melting into my veins. Weird. And cold.

Anyway, I've mentioned before that I have this autoimmune thyroid problem with some annoying side effects, one of them being temperature intolerance. I've been feeling pretty lousy for some time now and went for a blood test about a week and a half ago to check my thyroid levels. When I went to check on the results, the nice lady behind the counter told me that everything was 'perfectly normal' and that I didn't need to see the GP again. Being the suspicious type, I asked her for a printout of my lab results and lo and behold, they are anything but normal. So that's why I've been freezing and sniffling and needing to sleep 12 hours a day. It might also explain those 20 extra pounds that snuck up on me out of nowhere this past year. I just love it when patients can interpret test results better than doctors can.

I've now made an appointment with my doctor of nuclear medicine to discuss my options with her. This time it's only a 3 week wait instead of the usual 7, which is nice. I'm hoping she'll let me up my dosage to a level that feels comfortable to me, because this is not it and I'm soooo tired of being tired. I don't know how this is going to go over with her because she's the one who reduced my dosage in the first place and took me off a controversial type of thyroid hormone replacement when she thought it was having an adverse effect on my heart. I'll have to do some research and bring her a few well-chosen documents and see what she says.

But how to keep warm in the meantime? Flannel sheets and pyjamas, a heated water bed and a hot water bottle (AND my husband, of course) are helping at night. But what about during the day? It's mostly my feet that feel like blocks of ice, and luckily Mr. M gave me this cosy pair of wooly green slippers for Christmas.




I've been wearing them, but it's just not enough and I've had to resort to more drastic measures.



Ahhh! That's better!


(And yes, my feet really are that stubby. Go ahead and laugh.)

24 Comments:

At January 13, 2006 1:54 p.m., Blogger Léons Life said...

What can you say, other than they look cosy !

Do you take blog subject requests ? Are you an HTML expert ? All of us out here in blog would like to know how you go about changing that photo in the header.

Come on all you Mausi fans I'm sure I'm not the only one.

We need really, really simple instructions with photos and everything.....

 
At January 13, 2006 2:18 p.m., Blogger Andrea said...

I have only just started reading this blog but
THE PHOTO CHANGES!!!
Uh ya Id love to know how you do that!
please.

 
At January 13, 2006 2:49 p.m., Blogger hippo_pepperpot said...

I want the socks and the slippers! I LOVE them... xxx

 
At January 13, 2006 3:14 p.m., Blogger Sandra said...

Cute socks! And Christina, sister!, I'm hypothyroid, too, since the age of 20, and I'm always freezing. Luckily, my symptoms aren't as bad as yours.

 
At January 13, 2006 3:15 p.m., Blogger christina said...

Hi guys!

Nooooo - I am NOT a HTML expert, nor do I play one on TV. I know what I know from looking at various beginning HTML sites, studying my template and fiddling around for HOURS. :-)

I really only know how to change the photos for my template - where there was a photo already - don't know if it would work for the other ones.

1) choose a picture (your own or stolen from somewhere on the web - watch out for copyright issues) and cut out the part you want. The size that fits in my header was 133 x 800 pixels. Upload that to your blog and copy the HTML

2) Go into your Blogger template and find the part marked "header" and replace whatever's in there (mine was a link to a photo, I guess, originally something blurry and green with leaves) and replace that with the HTML for your picture.

I have another "test blog" with the same template as this one that I use to upload pictures to see how they'll look or fool around with the header or colours and stuff. Just click "create a new blog" in your Blogger settings and don't list it in your profile. You can experiment to your heart's content and it doesn't matter if you wreck it!

Does that make any sense at all?

 
At January 13, 2006 3:17 p.m., Blogger christina said...

Sandra - wow, that must be why we both like to sit around until 10 a.m. in our jammies! :-) Do you have Hashimoto's too? My thyroid kicked the bucket completely a couple of years ago so I've got a lot of adjusting to do now.

 
At January 13, 2006 3:28 p.m., Blogger Betty said...

How did you stuff your toes into those foot gloves? (I am always impressed with your html.)

 
At January 13, 2006 3:38 p.m., Blogger Léons Life said...

Christina - Thanks for that your explanation is very clear. The template that I originally choose didn't have a photo so I guess this is why it doesn't work for me
Tant pis !

 
At January 13, 2006 5:09 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

Ooooohhh! I'm so sorry, Christina, for the mess-up in your body (but not your head, thank God!). Ay caramba! I certainly have some of your symptoms (freezing hands and feet, propensity for carpal tunnel) but not the tiredness. Ugh. You have such a great, uplifting blog for such an ailment. Kudos to you for that.

I wish for you good success with your next doctor's appointment! Make sure you update us on what transpires.

 
At January 13, 2006 7:37 p.m., Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Ouch - It must be uncomfortable having that feeling all the time. I'm normally a lot cooler than most people. I get cold hands all the time so I do understand your pain, but I just get some warm tea and I can usually fix the probs....

But if someone were to make fun of your feet. At least you can say it's not hard to find shoes. I wear a 42 or a 43 - imagine how hard it is for me to find shoes! Impossible in Europe if I want to look female. Nordstroms is my friend.

 
At January 13, 2006 8:59 p.m., Blogger Lisa said...

Christina: I *love* the green ones. The house shoes in my area (NRW) are all made of grey kindergarten-project felt or garden shoe rubber. Blech.

Expat Traveler: I wear a 42 and find it extremely difficult to find shoes in my size *at all*. I had to forget looking feminine a long time ago. *sigh* Where is Nordstroms?

 
At January 13, 2006 10:22 p.m., Blogger Dixie said...

Oh my goodness! I haven't seen toe socks since I wore cowl neck sweaters, painters pants and wore my hair feathered a la Farrah Fawcett!

 
At January 13, 2006 11:13 p.m., Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Oh lawdy....the socks with toes...I think that will be one thing I won't be knitting. *LOL*

You know, I have that same problem with my inner-thermostat. I always feel cold when everybody else is comfortable. And I start to sweat and complain about the heat when everybody else was freezing their backsides off.

 
At January 14, 2006 12:52 a.m., Blogger Haddock said...

My thyroid meds were upped last month. I didn't realise there was a med that was controversial. I hope that's not the one I taking.

I know how you feel. Hope the Doc finds a good solution for you and that you get warm again soon and get some energy again.

Love the socks. Not sure if I could wear then though! :)

 
At January 14, 2006 8:24 a.m., Blogger Karen said...

Lololol!
Not laughing at the feet but at the socks!

I find cold feet to be deadly for my immune system - once I've gotten cold feet I usually get sick.
Hope you get those thyroid meds adjusted soon!

 
At January 14, 2006 10:03 a.m., Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Love those socks! I remember those from many years back. Hope you get that thyroid problem fixed

 
At January 14, 2006 10:07 a.m., Anonymous mar said...

It is good to see you haven't lost your sense of humor. I hope your doctor can help you, keeping my fingers crossed for you. (and thanks for sharing your htlm discoveries! I will try it too, we'll see what happens...)

 
At January 14, 2006 3:25 p.m., Blogger Sparky said...

Those are SO cute!

 
At January 14, 2006 4:12 p.m., Blogger Calamity Tat said...

They look like they should do the job, i recommend hot chocolate and buckets of it when you're cold....

 
At January 14, 2006 8:02 p.m., Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Christina, well, that's why I'm knitting my first pair of socks in worsted-weight yarn and 4.5 mm dpns. I tried with finger-weight yarn and 3 mm dpns and I had blood clot on the tip of my right forefinger the next day....that's when I frogged it. I'd suggest that you do the same thing. Try making thick socks with worsted-weight and bigger dpns. It'll definitely keep your feet warm!

 
At January 14, 2006 9:30 p.m., Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

You have an official "thank you" note on my blog :) Thanks again for your help!

 
At January 15, 2006 12:32 p.m., Blogger Pumpkin Pie said...

I love your socks...I always wanted a pair like them! They are too cute!

 
At January 16, 2006 2:11 p.m., Anonymous rebecca said...

Heavens, doctors. You send them to school for YEARS and what do you get? Good luck outsmarting your dnm.

 
At January 16, 2006 10:35 p.m., Blogger Prairie Girl said...

A wonderful post with totally cool, erm ... warm photos. I can relate to your thyroid woes I have Graves.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.