Monday, December 05, 2005

waiting for Godot St. Nick

(Knitting update: I'm almost finished the third scarf but am not entirely satisfied with the first two and may do them over again after they have been presented tomorrow. )

Tonight is the eve of Nikolaus or St. Nicholas Day. It's the evening when you polish up your shoes or boots and place them outside the door or on the windowsill. If you've been good all year, St. Nicholas (who is different than Santa Claus), accompanied by his helper Knecht Ruprecht will fill them with chocolate, gingerbread, nuts, oranges and a small present or two during the night. If you've been naughty, however, all you'll get is a lump of coal and a switch (a bunch of dried twigs).

At our house we use Christmas stockings and hang them on our electric fireplace, but St. Nicholas always finds them just the same. We've all been on our best behaviour, of course, and are anticipating getting lots of loot.

Pictures tomorrow!


10 Comments:

At December 05, 2005 9:35 PM, Blogger Betty said...

I know I saw that hat when they were choosing the new pope.

 
At December 05, 2005 9:37 PM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Hehehe, T wanted a Bibi Blocksberg Hörspiel. Can you imagine that? I actually got him one...so he better be cleaning his shoes out tonight. :p

 
At December 05, 2005 10:05 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

my father used to tell me all about this; looking forward to the photos.

 
At December 05, 2005 10:27 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Corrr! He's a fancy St Niklaus!

 
At December 05, 2005 10:50 PM, Blogger christina said...

Betty - yes, you're very observant - it's a bishop's hat. Nicholas was the Bishop of Myra or something before he started handing out presents to kids.

elemm - we used to have TONS of Bibi tapes. Did T see the movie a couple of years ago?

Cathy - it's a really nice custom and the kids get so exicted about it.

Ms. Mac - isn't he lovely? I guess Samichlaus and Schmutzli are visiting your house tonight, eh?

 
At December 05, 2005 11:29 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

I like to tease my husband by referring to Knecht Ruprecht as Uwe Ochenknecht.

I am so easily amused...

 
At December 05, 2005 11:51 PM, Blogger christina said...

Dixie - Well there IS quite a resemblance, don't you think? :-)

 
At December 06, 2005 9:47 AM, Blogger Ginnie said...

My grandson's name is Nicholas and he's 5. I'm gonna have to remember all of this for next year!

Bravo to you for trying the knitting project, let alone finishing it!

 
At December 06, 2005 12:28 PM, Blogger Anne said...

On St Nicholas day in Poland, all the children are given little chocolate St Nicks.
Looking forward to your pics later:)

 
At December 06, 2005 4:47 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

I love the photo! Oh how I wish I could be back in Europe...Could I choose two places at once?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.