Thursday, December 22, 2005

spicy

Here's the gingerbread recipes Amber in Belgium requested.

Gingerbread Dough

1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup fancy molasses*
1/2 cup blackstrap or cooking molasses
5 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp each baking soda, salt, ground cloves** and cinnamon

*we don't have different kinds of molasses here so I use what's known as Zuckerrüben Sirup - a dark syrup made of sugar beets and it works just fine.
** I only used 1/2 tsp cloves because I thought that was quite enough.

In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy; beat in eggs and molasses.

In separate bowl, stir together flour, ginger, baking soda, salt, cloves and cinnamon; stir into molasses mixture in 3 additions until well-combined, using hands if too stiff to stir.

Gather dough into ball. Divide in half; flattening into discs. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours. (May be refrigerated for up to one week).

Roll out dough 1/4 to 1/8 in. thick and cut out desired house shapes. Bake at 325F (160C) for about 25 minutes for large pieces, 15 mins for small. Dough should be firm to the touch when done.

We used just over half the batch of dough for our two houses and used the rest for cookies.

To cement the houses together for eternity you need to use Royal Icing which is traditionally made with raw egg whites. Since using raw egg whites is no longer considered safe practice due to the risk of salmonella poisoning, there are a few other options.

1) Buy meringue powder from a baking supply store
2) Use pasteurized egg-whites (egg section of supermarket if you're lucky - I've never seen them in Germany)
3) Use this method to make your egg whites 'safe'. (instructions halfway down the page)

Have fun!

16 Comments:

At December 22, 2005 12:16 p.m., Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe with us Christina. I'll be trying it out!

 
At December 22, 2005 12:18 p.m., Blogger christina said...

canadianswiss - Excellent! I'll be eager to see the finished product.

 
At December 22, 2005 12:38 p.m., Blogger hippo_pepperpot said...

I just can't get into baking this year. I wish I could. I bought all the stuff I need for cookies etc.... maybe tomorrow

You are really good with Holidays!

 
At December 22, 2005 2:11 p.m., Blogger Cathy said...

Christina;
I am making gingerbread men today and came across your post. Thanks! I am going to try this recipie this year.
Merry Christmas!

 
At December 22, 2005 3:40 p.m., Blogger christina said...

Hi hippo - I had actually planned to do a lot more, but I can't really get into it either. About 2 weeks ago I made cookies but they ate them all.

Cathy - I'm making gingerbread men right now! :-) This recipe turns out kind of crispy so make sure not to bake them too long. I'm finding 9 or 10 minutes is pretty good.

 
At December 22, 2005 4:14 p.m., Blogger Cathy said...

An ocean apart but we're both home making gingerbread men...I get my comments on my blog sent as e-mails as well, so I got the info.; thanks so much!

 
At December 22, 2005 4:26 p.m., Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I'm eager to see the finished product too! I hope I won't have to call the fire department - I have a slight tendency to make charcoal out of cookies. Oh well, ever seen a black gingerbread house?

 
At December 22, 2005 4:29 p.m., Blogger Luis Olival said...

i was looking for this recipe for ages :|
thanks :)

 
At December 22, 2005 8:07 p.m., Blogger christina said...

Cathy - we must have been communicating telepathically across the Atlantic!

canadianswiss - you have to watch them carefully because they get brown around the edges really fast. But a black gingerbread house would be VERY interesting. You could start a new trend.

Luis - you're welcome. Thanks for visiting.

 
At December 22, 2005 9:40 p.m., Blogger cmhl said...

shall I admit this? oh, why not...

((((they make gingerbread cookie dough in a roll now.... ))))

 
At December 23, 2005 1:19 p.m., Anonymous mar said...

I won't be baking this time but will save the recipe,thanks. Have a very merry xmas with your family!

 
At December 23, 2005 1:40 p.m., Blogger Betty said...

Very impressive !!! I've only seen them made with milk cartons (or other boxes) and graham crackers. The crackers are stuck on and decorating begins! Do they do that in the schools there?

 
At December 23, 2005 10:34 p.m., Blogger christina said...

cmhl - pre-made cookie dough will never pass these lips!! Only kidding, I'll eat anything. :-)

Thanks, mar! Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas too and happy skiing.

Betty - no graham crackers here (waaaaah!)

 
At December 24, 2005 6:51 a.m., Blogger Berlinbound said...

Merry Christmas Christina ... and thank you for all the support and kind words during this year of transition.

Richard

 
At December 24, 2005 4:01 p.m., Blogger Michelle said...

Hi,

The recipe sounds good :)
I hope you have a great Christmas and New Year's! And I hope your father is feeling better too and will be able to enjoy the holidays.

Michelle

 
At December 24, 2005 7:29 p.m., Anonymous rana (blowin' in the wind) said...

Merry Christmas!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.