Thursday, December 15, 2005

give me a book and I will love you forever

Sandra tagged me for a '15 things about books meme' a couple of days ago so I'd better get cracking.

1. I have over 40 cookbooks in my kitchen. One of my favourite? Julia Child's The Way to Cook

2. I have always loved a good mystery. Ruth Rendell, Elizabeth George and Dorothy Sayers know how to catch my interest.

3. I learned to read and write in the first grade using the controversial Initial Teaching Alphabet, popular in some schools in the late 60's. Once I learned to read, I never stopped.

4. As a child I was ill a lot and sometimes had to stay home from school for days at a time. Instead of watching TV, I read. One book I read over and over again was Harriet the Spy

5. In the 6th grade, my best friend Suzanne and I used to skip out of gym class and go to the library to read. Someone must have known, but we never got caught.

6. Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, the Laura Ingalls Wilder series and Enid Blyton's The Famous Five books were at the top of my reading list in elementary school

7. As a teenager I read a lot of science fiction/horror short stories.

8. Other than mountains of textbooks, I can't remember reading much at all while I was at university.

9. I adore the English book section at Amazon.de

10. Reading a book on the computer is not my cup of tea at all. I like to feel the book in my hands.

11. I wish that I could find more time (and a quiet place!) to read now that I have a family to look after.

12. Just finished: Snow Falling on Cedars, a book I had been meaning to read for years and finally go around to when my husband brought it home from the flea market.

13. Other books on my nightstand: Isabel Allende's My Invented Country, Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress (in German), The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World, The Psychic Pathway.

14. I can read in either English or German. It doesn't really matter to me, although I prefer English.

15. If I'm reading a book in German that has been translated from English, I sometimes find myself translating it back again in my head.

So that's it. I'm too lazy to tag anyone else, so if you'd like to do this meme, go right ahead!

8 Comments:

At December 15, 2005 2:24 PM, Blogger Schatzi said...

Oh how I love to read too! Did you have the summer reading club, where you read books over summer break and kept a list of them? You would turn the list in the first week of school and get a ribbon. I also have fond memories of the "book mobile".. Nancy Drew was my favorite !!!
Right now I am working on book 6 of Stepehn Kings Dark Tower series..and I have Patricia Cromwell's latest waiting for me....

 
At December 15, 2005 2:47 PM, Blogger christina said...

Schatz - Yes! The book mobile!! I went to a private school and we HAD to do book reports over the summer and hand them in for marks in the fall. I actually liked doing it! Patricia Cromwell is cool.

 
At December 15, 2005 4:42 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Christina:

After you've read "Introvert Advantage," would you let me know what you thought of it?

Useful and insightful?

Or...yet-another worthless self-help book written around a clever title?

Thanks, amiga!
Sal (Love the keyboard; hate the spotlight!)

 
At December 15, 2005 4:53 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Ditto to Sal's comment, from another one who hates the spotlight. And I loved this meme... it's on my list of things to do sometime in the near future. :)

 
At December 15, 2005 5:25 PM, Blogger christina said...

Angie and Sal - I'm enjoying the book and I'll get back to you privately on this one.

 
At December 16, 2005 12:04 AM, Blogger Dixie said...

I don't know how I functioned before there was the English book section on Amazon.de. Oh I know! I had to rely on the pathetic English language section in our library where I rotted my eyes out with Danielle Steele novels.

 
At December 16, 2005 8:03 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

I loved Harriet the Spy.

Hee hee, leave it to an introvert to get back to people privately about a book on introverts. Isn't it odd, as an introvert, to write a blog? Every other day I think I'm going to delete the whole thing.

 
At December 16, 2005 8:11 AM, Blogger christina said...

dixie - the teeny tiny library in our town is open Mondays and Thursdays from 4-6 p.m. and has NO English books at all. What fun!

Sandra - Ha ha! You're right! It is kind of weird to write a blog, a big step, actually but I'vealways preferred written communication. I'd rather write a thousand letters than make a single phone call.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.