Sunday, December 18, 2005

dad update

Thank you all for your concern and kind words regarding my father. I appreciate it SO much. The internet is a wonderful place.

I talked to my mother yesterday and she said that my dad is doing as well as can be expected and that they were thinking of releasing him from the hospital this weekend. The bleeding in the brain didn't seem to be that much of a problem although I had read otherwise (note to self: I will not google my parents' medical conditions...I will not google my parents' medical conditions...)so he'll just be out of commission for a while the other injuries heal. Mum said he was very cranky and ready to go home so I suppose that's a good sign. Thank goodness my parents were planning a stress-free Christmas this year anyway.

My brother said if Dad hadn't gotten to the hospital when he did, his condition might have become life threatening so I'm SO glad M was there to help. My dad is a pretty stubborn guy and hates going to the doctor unless he absolutely has to. Kind of reminds me of the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

ARTHUR:
Now stand aside, worthy adversary.
BLACK KNIGHT:
'Tis but a scratch.
ARTHUR:
A scratch? Your arm's off!
BLACK KNIGHT:
No, it isn't.
ARTHUR:
Well, what's that, then?
BLACK KNIGHT:
I've had worse.

My mum had a word with the neighbours, by the way, and they were completely indifferent to the whole situation and didn't even apologize. They're some fancy couple from L.A. (not that there's anything wrong with being from L.A.!) with more money than sense and are apparently so anal that they have to pressure wash their driveway every single day. My parents have no intention of pressing charges or sueing or whatever might be appropriate, but they would like an apology and the reassurance that this won't happen again. My brother has connections all over the place so he's going to look into and get things rolling.

Anyway, I'm feeling a bit better about everything and happy that it wasn't any worse. Sometimes it's really hard to be sandwiched between worrying about your kids AND your parents at the same time! I'm sure many of you know exactly what that's like.

14 Comments:

At December 18, 2005 5:11 PM, Blogger Betty said...

things to be thankful for:
1. Christina's dad is healing
2. Christina's brother is in control.
3. Christina's brother knows what he's doing.
Now ... let go and ... you know. :)

 
At December 18, 2005 7:07 PM, Blogger J said...

Glad to hear that things are looking up for your dad and you.

 
At December 18, 2005 8:58 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

I second J's sentiments. I'm glad to hear that your father is doing well, and hope that the Mausi family (both in Germany and in BC) have a great Christmas.

Till '06!
Sal

 
At December 18, 2005 9:55 PM, Blogger Calamity Tat said...

hahaha I like that bit, My brother has connections all over the place?
I was so sad to read about your Dads fall and I did mean to write something yesterday, I wish him a speedy recovery and a happy Christmas....

 
At December 18, 2005 10:14 PM, Anonymous mar said...

Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope he gets well very soon.

 
At December 19, 2005 1:58 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

Christina;
I am so glad to hear that he will be getting out soon and that he is doing better than expected. I can not belive the neighbours. So callous (sp.?), and at this time of year, too. Yucky people (this is the best I can come up with?!).
I hope you are feeling better, too.

 
At December 19, 2005 5:29 AM, Blogger hippo_pepperpot said...

good news about your dad....

the neigbours sound like turds.... coal for them this year...buggers

 
At December 19, 2005 8:42 AM, Anonymous Belinda said...

Hey Christina :)
I'm glad to hear your dad is on the mend. It's so sad to see that there really wasn't any kind of neighbourly spirit. I mean seriously, the least they could have done was apologise. What they should have done was offer to not freakin' throw water all over concrete in the middle of winter :|

I seriously just don't get that.

You and your family take care and have a lovely Christmas :D

 
At December 19, 2005 9:47 AM, Blogger swissmiss said...

I'm glad to hear it sounds like things are getting better - talking about being released is always a good sign that somebody is on the mend.

What kind of person power cleans their driveway in winter?! You'd think people from the States - you know, land of I'll sue you over anything - would at least be too *scared* to do that in winter.

Hope you dad keeps doing better.

 
At December 19, 2005 1:07 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I just can't believe that people (neigbours or not) can be that ignorant and show so little concern.

Anyway, hope your Dad recovers quickly and wish you a wonderful Christmas!

 
At December 19, 2005 4:10 PM, Blogger Mrs. Brian Johnson said...

Typical Southern Californians, wasting precious water. Glad your dad is on the mend. And yes, there's *plenty* wrong with being from L.A.

 
At December 19, 2005 4:56 PM, Blogger melusina said...

I am so glad to hear that your dad is doing ok and will be home for Christmas!

Sounds like someone needs to pressure wash your neighbors, though. =p

 
At December 19, 2005 6:05 PM, Blogger Schatzi said...

Wonderful news bout your father! Now then these neighbors... this kind of crap brings out my spiteful side I hope brother can do "something" to make these folks think twice about using common sense and having common courtesy! A POX on them I say.

 
At December 21, 2005 9:06 PM, Anonymous stringbean said...

Glad to hear your dad is on the upswing!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.