Monday, November 21, 2005

vive la France, and what Germans eat for dinner

(Just as and aside: our friends were in an especially good mood on Friday night because their daughter had been able to change schools immediately and will make fresh start tomorrow. The bullying situation, which included physical and verbal attacks, also involved the destruction of one teacher's personal property, damage to school property and an internet "hit list" of names. For some of the studenst it just became too much to bear and another girl also left the school. Now the guilty parties and their parents are going to be brought to justice and hopefully things will settle down. I don't envy teenagers at all these days.)

I was my usual layabout self this weekend, while Mr. M was kept busy putting winter tires on my car, his parents' car AND our neighbour's car. Why does he always have to do it? Because he can. Ha ha.

He took my car (Renault Twingo) to work on Friday so he could put the tires on more easily (they have a body shop there), change the oil and fiddle around a bit.

When he got home, hilarity ensued:

Mr: Your new tires are fine, and I changed the oil. But you'll never guess what I found stuck behind your left headlight!

Me: Do tell.

Mr: Half a baguette.

Me: Half a WHAT?

Mr: A baguette. All nice and dry and wedged in tightly.

Me: Ha ha! Looks like our friend the marten has been rooting around in the garbage and thought he'd stock up for winter.

Mr: Either that or Jean-Pierre at the Renault factory in France forgot his lunch in there while they were putting your car together!



(as always, click to enlarge)


Concerned that he would starve after all that tire-changing work, Mr. M's parents brought him a special treat on Saturday. They're convinced that I don't feed him enough, and tend make sure that he has a steady supply of fatty, possibly carcinogenic smoked meats on hand to remind him of how good he had it when he was living at home.

This, ladies and gentleman, is a Wurstplatte - a sausage platter, and it's meant for ONE person, to be eaten with bread and beer.




And what IS all that stuff, you're asking yourself? Let's start at the bottom and move clockwise, shall we? First we have some delicious headcheese (jellied pork). Then we move on to to veal liverwurst, blood sausage, and more liverwurst, this time coarse and fine and containing pork. The flat slices on the right are pork belly and the mass in the middle is Mett - raw, seasoned ground pork with onions, similar to steak tartare.

Mmm...I bet you're hungry now. Actually, a lot of it isn't half bad, but I told Mr. M that he'd used up his meat/fat ration for the entire month by eating it. Poor guy, he never gets a break.

25 Comments:

At November 21, 2005 12:49 PM, Blogger surly girl said...

uuurgh, most of that looks horrid!!

but then i like processed cheese, so what would i know?

 
At November 21, 2005 1:16 PM, Blogger Léons Life said...

Umm I wish I could say delicous !

 
At November 21, 2005 1:28 PM, Blogger cmhl said...

oh my............ I think I would try everything, maybe, except for the headcheese and the raw meat. is that SAFE????

so, was mr. m pleased with this offering???

 
At November 21, 2005 1:40 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

The brownish liverwursts look good. Everything else looks a little scary. I tried Korean blood sausage and I didn't like it, not even the teensiest little bit.

I'm thinking a snack like that might make a person feel a little sluggish.

 
At November 21, 2005 1:42 PM, Blogger christina said...

surlygirl and leon's life - looks really interesting, doesn't it?

cmhl - Oh yeah, he loved it! He grew up on that stuff. It's traditional at this time of year because now is when they slaughter the pigs.

As for the raw pork - they grind it fresh and you're only supposed to eat it the day it's made. I don't eat it (the chunks of fat get stuck between your teeth - ugh!) and I don't want the kids to, but Mr. M has never gotten ill and I haven't heard of anyone else having problems. People here seem to get more salmonella from improperly cooked chicken and eggs.

 
At November 21, 2005 1:46 PM, Blogger christina said...

sandra - The liverwurst is delicious, I like it too, just not great gobs of it at once. I don't think I've ever tried the blood sausage - those little bits in it are quite frightening. The other meats, except for the ground pork, are pretty neutral tasting. They go well with mustard.

Mr. M had to take a looooong nap after he polished off his meal!

 
At November 21, 2005 2:26 PM, Blogger Betty said...

I feel like running right and mailing you vegetables. Is this something that's gifted in place of a fruit basket? I am alarmed.

 
At November 21, 2005 2:31 PM, Blogger christina said...

betty - LOL! No, we have vegetables here too. His parents think they're doing him a favour.

 
At November 21, 2005 3:28 PM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Yes, you've made me hungry!

 
At November 21, 2005 4:39 PM, Blogger hippo_pepperpot said...

I'm still laughing about the stash found in your car... lol.

 
At November 21, 2005 6:06 PM, Blogger lily b said...

Since he already had the bread taken care of, all he needed was beer.

I'm a total carnivore, but that plate of meat make me want to vomit a little, although it's very nicely presented. I guess if you grow up with it though...

 
At November 21, 2005 6:36 PM, Blogger Homer said...

That is a heart attack on a plate. V8 and water only for the next month for your hubby, I think...

 
At November 21, 2005 7:02 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

I miss all of the delicious meats and cold cuts from europe. When we got back from Switz, we were going crazy finding something similar.

Sounds like you've got a monster still on your hands. I can't imagine the baguette in the light. I'm still laughing!

 
At November 21, 2005 8:46 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Are you sure you didn't run over a Frenchman at some point (and got his baguette stuck in the headlight)?? That is too funny.

As to the meats, well, my husband, although Greek, was born in Germany, so such things are not completely unrecognizable. But I am not a fan of all the sausages. And raw ground beef? Ugh.

My poor sister-in-law is in Freiburg and she says it is too expensive to eat out. With all that meat, no wonder!

 
At November 21, 2005 9:13 PM, Blogger J said...

Thank you for finally making a food post that didn't make me hungry! Yuck!

 
At November 21, 2005 9:40 PM, Blogger PapaScott said...

I always wondered why the performance on my Twingo was so poor. Now I know. Too many carbohydrates.

 
At November 21, 2005 10:26 PM, Blogger Katja said...

This is not the first time I've heard the food-in-the-car-story. The mechanics actually left a whole SANDWICH (yep, with cheese and ham and all) under the engine hood in my friends car... Seems to be a common mistake!

 
At November 21, 2005 10:26 PM, Blogger christina said...

elemm- Oh no, you're not becoming German, are you? :-0

hippo - I'm still lauging too. He said he'd bring it home to show me.

lilyb - Yes, I know what you mean. There's meat and there's meat. I think they bought the platter (well, a paper plate, actually) at the butcher's already arranged. Notice the artistic lettuce leaf in there!

melusina - Hmm, I'll have to check if there's also a beret and bicycle parts in there somewhere. And yes, eating out is pretty expensive, for the food that you get although it's a bit cheaper here in the north.

J - Aww, I thought you'd like this one for sure. ;-)

papascott- Poor performance? Perhaps your baguette needs adjusting? :-D

 
At November 21, 2005 10:29 PM, Blogger christina said...

katja - You mean it really COULD have been Jean-Pierre? Or maybe all Twingos come with a complimentary baguette and they forgot to tell anyone?

 
At November 22, 2005 12:16 AM, Blogger christina said...

Homer!- rabbit food for him this week

Expat Traveler - When I was living in Vancouver there were just tons of delicatessens around and my mum used to buy German food because my dad is Austrian.

 
At November 22, 2005 1:41 AM, Anonymous lillian said...

The germans here just love wurst and will drive really far to buy it. This post helps me understand abit better HOW important it is lol

 
At November 22, 2005 2:20 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

Hello Christina;
1. Can your hubbie droip by and change our tires, too; becuase my hubbie can't.

2. that plate of meat has caused me to gain ten pounds by just looking at it; it also looks like it could be on Fear Factor....Mett plech....

 
At November 22, 2005 7:44 AM, Blogger Karen said...

My Twingo had no baguette. I know this for a fact since I had to change the headlamp bulbs shortly before I sold it.
Perhaps I should file a complaint with the factory ;-)

 
At November 22, 2005 10:57 AM, Blogger Haddock said...

Wow! the the platter looks good. I dont eat much of this sort of stuff. I couldn't imagine eating the whole lot in one go. But I bet the beer really helps

 
At November 23, 2005 8:40 AM, Blogger Knitting Painter Woman said...

I'll stick to hard salami...
but I enjoyed the linked photos of the marten (rip: ignition insulation). I heard on television that there is a similar phenomenon in Japan (!) but it involves some other omnivorous beastie. I think chicken wire is a better solution than a baguette-wielding Frenchman. I would be glad to send you Texas Chili powder if you think it would help.
PS: I'm plain PainterWoman on some sites, but Sultry on others.... :-)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.