Tuesday, November 08, 2005

today is tomorrow's yesterday. or something

I've been subscribing to an article a day from the DailyOM site. The authors manage to combine the metaphysical stuff I enjoy so much with a good dose of common sense. That really appeals to me. Most of the time I can find a message in there somewhere and I particularily liked yesterday's article because it's something I often have trouble with.

There Is Only Now

It can be easy for us to walk through the world and our lives without really being present. While dwelling on the past and living for the future are common pastimes, it is physically impossible to live anywhere but the present moment. We cannot step out our front door and take a left turn to May of last year any more than we can take a right turn to December 2010. Nevertheless, we can easily miss the future we are waiting for as it becomes the now we are too busy to pay attention to. We then spend the rest of our time playing "catch up" to the moment that we just let pass by. During moments like these, it is important to remember that there is only Now.




Well, yeah.

6 Comments:

At November 08, 2005 12:41 PM, Blogger hippo_pepperpot said...

I have a hard time w/ that too. I guess like in my Guy Fawkes Day blog... I was in the here and now and it was awesome. I don't think of the future as much as I think about the past. Sometimes I wish I could go back to certain times...good ones that is. I think that it is safe to be in the here and now if it is happy and safe...I really treasure those moments.

 
At November 08, 2005 2:07 PM, Anonymous mar said...

How true. Live your life. Now.

 
At November 08, 2005 3:35 PM, Blogger Sparky said...

So you enjoy the metaphysical stuff ?
I knew I could love you ;).

Jen will probably warn you about me (concerning discussing metaphysics and such), but the two of us might have some intersting discussions...

As a balance to DailyOM, have you even been to http://forums.randi.org/, http://forums.randi.org/forumindex.php and especially http://forums.randi.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6 (for that pesky politics stuff)?

It's one of the best forums with some of the best (skeptical) minds the Internet has to offer.

- Sparky

 
At November 08, 2005 3:35 PM, Anonymous Belinda said...

I guess that's why I'm so impulsive. That feeling of "what if" eats at me and I just GOTTA do/say it. sometimes it is a bad thing though and as with everything in life, it's only successful if done in moderation.

 
At November 08, 2005 6:19 PM, Anonymous Garnet said...

That's really cool. I may just subscribe to that. THanks!

 
At November 09, 2005 9:56 AM, Blogger christina said...

hippo - Yeah, I know what you mean, I think about the past a lot too. Not always a good thing. And s

mar - Yep, this moment is all we have. Oops, there goes another one. :-)

Sparky! - The more metaphysical the better!! And yes, you sent me those links before - thanks. Not exactly my bag, but VERY entertaining, nonetheless. :-)

Belinda - But I think being impulsive is a GOOD thing sometimes. I'm just the opposite and I can't say that keeping my mouth shut has helped me much in life.

Hi Garnet! - It's a great site and there's an interesting discussion forum too. I like having that daily article in my in box to give me a little lift.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.