Thursday, November 17, 2005

pucker up

As the weather gets cooler and the skies cloud over more often than not, I'm feeling the urge to stay inside and bake up a storm.

Yesterday I baked these lemon squares and if you love lemony goodness the way I do, I'm sure you'd enjoy them. Tart and sweet at the same time - a little bit of sunshine in every bite. Just right along with a nice cup of tea. And making them is as easy as...uh...pie!





Luscious Lemon Bars - makes 16 bars (theoretically!)

Preheat oven to 350F (180C)

1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar (divided into 1/4 and 3/4 cups)
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
icing (confectioner's) sugar

In a medium bowl, blend together first 1 1/3 cups flour, 1/4 cup of granulated sugar and butter until mixture is crumbly. Press into bottom of 8 in. (2 L) square baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

In small bowl beat together remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, eggs, 2 Tbsp flour, baking powder, and lemon zest and juice. Pour over hot crust. Bake for 15 minutes more or until filling is set. Cool in pan on wire rack. Sprinkle with icing sugar and cut into bars.

(taken from Dietitians of Canada Cook Great Food)

Most of the recipes from this cookbook are low-fat, high fibre, high nutrition etc but they made an exception for this one saying:

" ...a little indulgence practiced in moderation is still an important part of healthy eating."

Amen to that, brother!

There's also another version of this over at I was really just very hungry using more sugar and an extra egg in the filling. I have yet to try it but it might well be even better.

8 Comments:

At November 17, 2005 1:57 PM, Blogger Léons Life said...

Yum yum that looks good !

 
At November 17, 2005 3:22 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

Sure does. I'm puckering just looking at it. The picture is really nice.

 
At November 17, 2005 4:48 PM, Blogger Belinda said...

What a coincidence! I was JUST now googling for a good lemon squares recipe and I had to look no further when I saw your blog update!!!
I can't wait to try these. I'm the only one that likes lemon so it works out well with the "no sharing" thing I have lol

looks sooo good. i've printed out the recipe to take the the store so I can get everything I need to make them tomorrow.

you're the best!

 
At November 17, 2005 5:28 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Oh, I LOVE lemon bars! I actually forgot I had lost my recipe, and now I have a new one!

 
At November 17, 2005 6:55 PM, Blogger Calamity Tat said...

They look so yummy. This weekend I intend to make two lemon sponge cakes with homemade lemon curd inside for two dinner dates... What's all purpose flour, is that SR?

 
At November 17, 2005 7:51 PM, Blogger christina said...

leons life and Sandra - kind of makes your mouth water just thinking of lemons, doesn't it?

Belinda! We must be cooking soul mates.

Melusina - looks like everyone will be making them this week.

Tat - Mmm...lemon curd is lovely. All-purpose flour is what you'd call plain flour, I think? Not the self-raising kind.

 
At November 17, 2005 10:15 PM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

I've got a recipe for Lemon slices, too....Now you've inspired me. Let's see whether I can try something kiwi-ish out tomorrow or on the weekend (have to find a sponge tin first)

 
At November 19, 2005 6:21 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

Looks yummy! I might make some of those this weekend.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.