Friday, November 18, 2005

now where did I put my hostess apron?

We have our good friends coming for dinner tonight and since it's been so cold out lately, I'm making soup, soup, and more soup. Hippo and Tat (I think?) have both been talking about leek and potato, so I've been inspired to make that, along with a curried carrot soup and maybe a cream of tomato, depending on my mood and how fast I can get this dump tidied up.

This past Monday I had to be down at Boy9's school at 8 a.m. (geez, practically the middle of the night for me) to help cut up fruit and vegetables and make sandwiches for the gesundes Frühstück - a healthy breakfast put on by the mothers who volunteer at the library. The library had organized two German children's authors to come and read excerpts from their latest books, and local merchants donated the food so we could offer the kids a nutritious snack during their mid-morning break. It was a big hit, but there were just tons of carrots left over. I had two 1 kg bags (just over 4 lbs total) thrust upon me to take home. Some mums took four bags, however my kids don't like carrots all that much, either raw or cooked, so they're going into the soup tonight. The carrots, not the kids. Waste not, want not.

Must get chopping...

10 Comments:

At November 18, 2005 3:36 p.m., Blogger Cathy said...

Sounds wonderful. I am having my parents over for dinner tonight and I am having a pork roast cooked in the crock pot with carrots, potatoes and onions. I just wish I had some sauer kraut on hand!

 
At November 18, 2005 7:21 p.m., Blogger Expat Traveler said...

sounds good to me. I think we will be making some squash soup with coconut milk and a bit more spices since we have this squash the size of the pumpkin in the fridge.

 
At November 19, 2005 4:36 a.m., Blogger hippo_pepperpot said...

I made fried pizza for tea last night... from the JO cook book... LUSH

wv: zulu botox

 
At November 19, 2005 5:11 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like "the carrots, not the kids". lol

if you have any carrots left over, that you didn't throw into the soup, how about carrot cake or carrot muffins? maybe you can sneak some more beta carotene into your smallfry that way.

 
At November 19, 2005 5:14 a.m., Anonymous bangkok expat mama said...

btw, i wasn't trying to be anonymous in the previous comment -- the comment thing didn't have a field for me to put in my name, etc., earlier. now it does, so here i am again...

hope the soup turned out yummy!

 
At November 19, 2005 10:44 a.m., Blogger christina said...

Cathy - Mmm... that sounds really good. Crockpots finally came to Germany a couple of years ago so I bought one and love it.

Expat Traveler - I bet that will be delicious. I still have two whole uncarved pumpkins I need to do something with.

bangkok expat - Yeah, people might get suspicious if the kids suddendly disappeared. :-) I do make carrot muffins sometimes, but only my older son will eat them. The little one has vegetable radar and can sense a vitamin attack a mile away.

 
At November 19, 2005 5:17 p.m., Blogger Calamity Tat said...

Which beggers the question are you going to make carrot cake, i love carrot cake.... Good luck with the soups...

 
At November 20, 2005 11:21 a.m., Blogger hippo_pepperpot said...

I got the fried pizza recipe from the new book... I will be posting today... Rollie took pics for me.

 
At November 20, 2005 2:41 p.m., Blogger Betty said...

What a gorgeous blog!! Beautiful pictures and a new place to come for dinner ideas.

 
At November 23, 2005 8:42 a.m., Blogger Knitting Painter Woman said...

Children in soup are over rated!
What authors came? Curious ex librarians would like to know? (Even though I can only remember about four German vocabulary words and NO verb tenses.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.