Monday, November 14, 2005

minutiae

  • Only 5 kids came to our door on Friday night. I was sort of disappointed, even though that Matten, matten song does tend to get on your nerves after you've listened to it 37 times in a row. Oh well, more candy for us.
  • Saturday we attended our friend (better half of the friends we see on Fridays) K.'s birthday party. She had invited the usual suspects - we were 9 adults all together and it was a very pleasant evening. The boys stayed home alone watching movies and didn't kill each other.
  • One thing you have to get used to when you live in Germany is having to throw your own birthday party. No one else is going to do it for you. You're expected to bake your own cake(s) and have things ready for anyone who chooses to drop by, at home or at work. You can run, but you can't hide.
  • According to my mum, my brother had a lousy birthday. My parents took the whole family out to their favourite Chinese restaurant, which is usually a big hit, but M was sick as a dog with a terrible cold and his new girlfriend, who is a vegetarian, almost had a fit when confronted with the sweet and sour pork. Poor Dad was eating Chinese leftovers for a week.
  • We found out on Saturday evening that our friend's 15 yr old daughter has been having such a rough time in her 8th grade class that she's decided to switch schools. There are huge discipline problems at the school she's at even though it has (or had, now) a very good reputation. So much ganging up on both students and teachers going on that she can't stand the stress any more. We knew it was bad, but not how bad.
  • Sunday we had lunch at the in-laws; roast goose, red cabbage and potato dumplings, called Knödel in the south and Klöße in northern Germany. It was quite a heavy meal and I am trying to get my stomach back to normal with a good dose of chamomile tea (worked for Peter Rabbit!)
  • I bought a pair of yoga pants last week and oh my lord, are they comfortable. I may never leave the house again.
  • My mother (a very sprightly 69) is having her knee operated on on Nov. 22. She's been waiting for ages in terrible pain. Originally the wonderful Canadian health care system had told her it could take up to 9 months to get an operation date so she's really grateful it's happening so soon. I wish I could be there to look after her while she's recovering.
  • We booked our flight to Vancouver for next summer! And it's only going to cost us our life savings! Whee!!! July 20 to Aug. 27, 2006 - just over 5 weeks of paradise. I CAN'T WAIT.

9 Comments:

At November 14, 2005 2:56 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

Christina;
Yoga pants, hmmm; I'll have to check those out. The dinner made my mouth water, even though you said it was heavy. The school situation; oh how terrible! Poor girl. Wonderful news about your trip home; really unfortunate that airfare is so expensive, though, isn't it.

 
At November 14, 2005 8:42 AM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Hmmmmm....Bratente mit Blaukraut und Knödl....*sabber, sabber, sabber* Ach, wir hatten das gleiche auch selber gekocht vor zwei Wochen! *lecker* ;p

 
At November 14, 2005 11:13 AM, Blogger christina said...

Cathy - I'm not sure if they're REALLY yoga pants, but they have a nice wide comfortable waistband for my non-existant waist and they don't pinch me anywhere. And "yoga pants" sounds WAY better than "fat pants", doesn't it? :-)

Elemm - Yeah, it tasted great but you don't need to eat again for two days afterwards. Up here we refer to Blaukraut as Rotkohl. Lustig, oder? :-)

 
At November 14, 2005 12:05 PM, Blogger Homer said...

Waah! I've just been missing Vancouver (almost to the point of tears) because a song came on the radio that I first heard the first time I drove to Spanish Banks. Wish I was there now. I am exceptionally envious of your holiday plans!

With your heritage I can't believe it's taken you this long to discover yoga pants! Or did the Lululemon cartel start after you'd moved to Germany?

 
At November 14, 2005 12:31 PM, Blogger christina said...

Homer - Vancouver has that effect on a lot of people. Can you fit in a suitcase? You can come with us!

Not having a clue, I just looked it up and it seems that Lululemon started in 1998. I've been here since 1990. MUCH too long. Wahhh! But you'd think growing up among the tree-huggers I would have had some yoga pants before this, wouldn't you?

 
At November 14, 2005 7:23 PM, Blogger hippo_pepperpot said...

I want some yoga pants. I bet they are great.
My mum inlaw made roast duck once... I was sick for two days...too much fat.
I guess it is better to throw your own b day party... I could go for that.

 
At November 14, 2005 7:39 PM, Blogger J said...

Dinner = yum!

Booking your tickets for your summer holiday 9 months in advance? Warning: you're becoming German :)

 
At November 15, 2005 3:04 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

I was think that same thing J, the planning...superb!

 
At November 15, 2005 4:32 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Hey Christina - I can feel that excitement for your visit to Vancouver. I know I felt the same way when we booked our vacation back to Switzerland.

Funny enough maybe you could manage time to meet up for some coffee while you are here in the city. It would be cool to meet a blogger across the Atlantic.

Lululemon - don't feel left out there. Those pants are way too expensive for no good reason. There are so many knock off's that are cheaper. So don't rush out to get some, unless you want to be a trendy Vancouverite.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.