Wednesday, October 05, 2005

sixty quid, and eight for the fruit-bat

Here's Boy12's dissected bee. Isn't it fabulous?



Head, thorax, abdomen, six legs, two sets of wings and a pair of feelers - it's all there.

Of course there's absolutely no way I can look at it without John Cleese's voice popping into my head:

Half a bee, philosophically, must, ipso facto, half not be...

In fact, the whole Fish License Sketch had been swimming around in my brain for days now and I can't get it out. Better than a poke in the eye with sharp stick, I suppose.

We never did find a replacement for the missing feeler. Where are all the spare dead bees when you need them? Some other kids in the class were missing way more important parts so we didn't do too badly and Boy12's teacher said he could just draw in the feeler. Now he tells us.

I wonder what they'll get to dissect next? Not so fond memories of fetal pigs and cow eyeballs come floating back when I think about my high school biology classes in the 80's. Are those things still au courant these days?

6 Comments:

At October 05, 2005 12:00 PM, Blogger Belinda said...

actually, chris and I were discussing high school biology just the other day. apparently they don't do disections here in germany :| the whole animal rights thing I suppose.

Even though I was really grossed out by it in school, I have to admit it was kinda cool to disect a frog lol.

 
At October 05, 2005 1:29 PM, Blogger hippo_pepperpot said...

oh dear, I am afraid that I can not disect anything! I can't even cut up a chicken from the market.

I liked 'Eric, the half Bee'... made me smile.

xxxx

wv: slugo foxes

 
At October 05, 2005 1:42 PM, Blogger christina said...

Belinda - yes, I think the poor little fetal pigs went out of style quite a while ago. We never did frogs - no idea why not.

hippo- I've heard you're pretty good at slicing up those pop cans, though! The Fish License thing is one of my favourite Monty Python sketches. :-)
wv ate three eyes

 
At October 06, 2005 8:07 AM, Blogger Karen said...

We had to do frogs and night crawlers - ugh. I still hate the smell of formaldehyde ;-)

 
At October 06, 2005 10:27 AM, Anonymous haddock said...

we had to do eyes.....and then hide some in blazer pockets of someone you didn't like :)

 
At October 06, 2005 1:14 PM, Blogger Antipodeesse said...

Amazing, Christina, that once again you and I have blogged about a similar topic on the same day!

We dissected pigs' eyeballs at high school in NZ. That vitreous jellyish stuff was quite fascinating! Optic nerve was a little tough to cut through, as I remember. Also dead mice for the full body dissection. Bleurch!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.