Sunday, October 16, 2005

nostalgia

A while back Sal in Spain posted a very stylin' picture of himself and his 'Nonnie' and it got me all nostalgic, thinking about my grandparents. Most of the family pictures are still back at my parents' place, but every time we go on vacation, I bring a few back with me, always planning to put them in albums and never really getting around to it.

As I was digging through some old stuff yesterday I actually did come up with a couple of family photos. And, wow, I'm even wearing a dirndl.



If I recall correctly, this picture was taken in 1965 when my Oma and Opa were in Vancouver for a visit. My mother is wearing her dirndl, too, so I guess it must have been a special occasion. I'm the short one in the back, by the way, with my dad and Opa. All of two years old and still enjoying my Queen of the Universe status, completely unaware of what was yet to come. A year and a half later, the first brother arrived. Two years after that the second one. I wept when they took my crown away.

For the first couple of years of my reign we lived in this cute little house on Marine Drive in West Vancouver.



Those were the days.

****************************************

I'm making stuffed peppers for dinner tonight, something I haven't made in ages. Unfortunately, whenever I think of stuffed peppers, I have to think of an old boyfriend of mine who I'd really rather not think about. He was Greek, and in the bloom of my youth (I was 20) he whisked me off to Greece for two months one summer to show me what his homeland had to offer. One of the things we did was visit the island of Rhodes, where parents of a friend of his had a hotel. We didn't get to stay in the hotel, but we did get fed by the hotel owners. Always the same meal - stuffed vegetables. Zucchini, tomatoes and peppers, filled with rice, pine nuts and currants.

The food was good, but the boyfriend turned out to be not so good. Before he dropped me like a hot potato he taught me how to say a few words in Greek, including "I love you, my little kitten." But thinking back I really wish he'd taught me to say "I have nothing but contempt for you, you pompous ass." That would have come in very handy at the time. Loser.

Better be careful what I make for dinner from now on.

So that bit of unwanted nostalgia led to more digging around in old photos and I came across a high school picture of my very first boyfriend, who was a total doll. Nicest guy you could ever meet. I was 16 when we stopped eyeing each other at the bus stop every day and finally got together and stayed together for a couple of years. He used to say things like "Oh Pookie, *smooooch* you're the most beautiful girl in the world.*smooooch* Your eyes are the colour of a tropical sea. *smoooooooch*" How could I resist?

That's the kind of stuff a girl wants to remember.

14 Comments:

At October 16, 2005 6:49 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

Ha ha! When we were dating, I overheard my boyfriend (now my husband) tell someone that I had "beautiful blonde hair." I had BROWN stringy hair. Love is blind (not that your eyes aren't the color of a tropical sea, of course).

 
At October 16, 2005 6:49 PM, Blogger hippo_pepperpot said...

I like this post of yours :o)

I have had my share of stupid jerk boyfriends that I would rather forget.... oh well.

 
At October 16, 2005 7:12 PM, Blogger Homer said...

I always wondered where you'd lived in Van! Cute house.

I'd better not get involved in boyfriend reminiscences, considering.

 
At October 16, 2005 9:34 PM, Blogger cmhl said...

what a great picture!!! So, I take it your parents were originally from Germany?

your mother is very pretty!!

and, I love the a-frame house. lovely.

 
At October 16, 2005 9:38 PM, Blogger christina said...

Sandra - sometimes I think if love weren't blind, there wouldn't be any at all. Especially among teenagers. :-)

cmhl - my dad is Austrian, but my mother's parents were American and English.

hippo - yeah, there are more jerk boyfriends where that one came from, but I think I'll leave it for now... :-)

 
At October 16, 2005 9:40 PM, Blogger christina said...

homer - we moved to the Caulfield area later and my parents live near Cypress Park now, after moving to Bowen Island and then Lions Bay. They really get around.
Hope you're doing OK!

 
At October 16, 2005 10:53 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Hey! Great post. I'm glad I was able to kick-start a bit of nostalgia. It always makes for good reading.

Sorry, but I don't have any boyfriend stories to share.

I will, however, second CMHL's comment: You mother IS very pretty.

Sal

 
At October 17, 2005 2:32 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

The photos are simply beautiful; what a knockout your mother was. Looks like Bavaria transplanted in B.C. :)

 
At October 17, 2005 4:01 AM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

LOVE this post and the PHOTOS!

Hehehe, I wished I was whisked away by some Greek macho for once...but well, I'm tied down now. *LOL* Wish T would say such things to me now and then....not that I ever say such things to him...well, he's more of the guy in the relationship anyway, so it's his job to make compliment! :p

 
At October 17, 2005 6:13 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Christina,
I had no idea you lived on the north shore. I'm in north vancouver, so not far at all from where you grew up. Lovely area for sure. Great views too... :)

 
At October 17, 2005 2:53 PM, Blogger christina said...

Cathy, Sal - Yes, my mother is still a beauty at 69. She got all the looks in the family.*sob* But the rest of us have great personalities!

Elemm - You'll just have to train T to make you a compliment at least once a day. That particular Greek macho wouldn't have been your cup of tea AT ALL, believe me. :-)

Expat Traveler - It is a lovely area. Not hard to see how I could miss it so much, is it?

 
At October 17, 2005 3:30 PM, Blogger Anne said...

My family would kill me if I posted their pics up, expecially my Mum.
Thanks for visiting, cool blog:))

 
At October 17, 2005 5:09 PM, Blogger christina said...

Hi Anne, thanks for dropping by. They don't read my blog and I don't think anyone would recognize them after 40 years anyway. :-)

 
At October 20, 2005 10:40 AM, Blogger Berlinbound said...

Once I start digging in the memory pile it becomes addictive, I did deeper and deeper until I am awash in regret or melancholy or self-loathing. Rarely does something from the past tickle a smile – it happens – but far too infrequently. Nevertheless I keep digging – searching for my own missing

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.