Sunday, October 02, 2005

no, thank YOU!

My calendar say it's Erntedankfest - German Thanksgiving, today so I'm busy counting my blessings (I'm up to three already!). Like every year, Boy9's school had a little service in the school gymnasium on Friday where all the children contributed fruit or vegetables, home-grown if available, to big baskets which are later distributed to needy families (according to a study published in March 2005, one child in ten in Germany is living in poverty - that's 1.4 million children under 18 years of age). I'm not really sure what else the Germans do for Erntedankfest - no big family dinners like in the U.S. and Canada, it seems. We did, however, have to go to the in-laws today and eat an unsuspecting rabbit for lunch, something for which I wasn't all that thankful. Good thing I am not the queasy sort when it comes to food.

Canadian Thanksgiving is October 10. I'll be trying to rustle up a turkey next week - no small feat around here. I always make a pumpkin pie and usually end up eating the whole thing myself. Boy12's reaction last year: "Hmm. It's OK except for the pumpkin part."

Yesterday it rained ALL day. Not that I minded, of course. I enjoy cool, rainy weather. That's what I grew up with, after all. Today was sunny and pleasant but quite chilly. The leaves are starting to turn now, offering many a photo opportunity if I could just get myself motivated.



gimme shelter


Mr. M, who is never really sure when Halloween is, came home with three pumkins the other day. Then he bought three more on Saturday just to make sure we'll have enough. I am a pumpkin carving, pumkin seed roasting fool at Halloween so these guys won't go to waste.


blissfully unaware of their fate

12 Comments:

At October 02, 2005 11:00 p.m., Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

One bad thing about living in Europe is the lack of Halloween. It was always my favorite holiday. Not just for the candy (although few things can match of ecstasy of finding an Almond Joy in your pillowcase), but for the costumes. Halloween was my one chance per year for socially-acceptable cross-dressing.

I miss Halloween.

And I *LOVE* pumpkin pie!!!

Sal

 
At October 02, 2005 11:55 p.m., Anonymous Karl said...

Our kids all love pumkin pie but they don't like turkey. We've usually celebrate on a Saturday instead of the fourth Thursday because it's easier for my wife and me with work. That kind of rubs me the wrong way but you gotta adapt.

And Halloween usually morphs together with "Lanterns" - I forget the name of the Saint whose feast it is.

 
At October 03, 2005 3:44 a.m., Blogger Sandra said...

Those pumpkins are gorgeous. They're Hollywood pumpkins--they don't even look real.

 
At October 03, 2005 3:49 a.m., Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Howdy from Bangkok! I thought that you supposed to eat Ente during Erntedankfest.... ;)

 
At October 03, 2005 8:01 a.m., Blogger Karen said...

Nice pumpkins - they all look so "perfect"!

 
At October 03, 2005 12:24 p.m., Blogger Calamity Tat said...

Could I have your pumpkin pie recipe, I'd love to give one a go...

 
At October 03, 2005 12:25 p.m., Blogger christina said...

Sal - yeah, I miss REAL Halloween too. Not necessarily for the cross dressing, but for the other stuff. Germany has taken to celebrating a bit in the last few years - now they just have to get the time and date right - we have kids knocking on our door in the middle of the afternoon a week before the 31st asking for candy.

Pumkin pie rocks! I'm secretely glad that the rest of the family turns up their noses at it. All the more for me.

Karl - my kids like the turkey,it's the stuffing they think is disgusting!

The celebration you're thinking of is Martinstag with the lanterns and the going door to door in November. I like that one too.

Sandra - you know, you're right. They do all kind of look like they've had face lifts and liposuction, don't they? :-) I have no idea where Mr. M got them. I usually go for the ones with more character, but hey, a pumkin is a pumpkin so I'm not complaining!

Hi Elemm! A duck? I guess so. That seems to be what's in the supermarket at this time of year. Hope you're having a wild time in Bangkok.

Karen little do they know that I'm going to be doing a bit of plastic surgery on them soon!

 
At October 03, 2005 12:28 p.m., Blogger christina said...

Tat - sure! I'll get right on it. I've tried out a lot of different ones so I'll have to see if I can remember which one was successful.

 
At October 03, 2005 4:03 p.m., Blogger jen said...

Oh I miss Halloween too. The first year here, we carved pumpkins. I have no idea about the roasting and Mutti just thought it was a mess so she threw all the guts into the komposthaufen and now we have our own pumpkin patch.

they are not nearlly as pretty as yours tho. Yours are gorgeous. perfect for carving.

 
At October 03, 2005 4:24 p.m., Blogger Antipodeesse said...

Love your witty photo captions!

 
At October 03, 2005 4:55 p.m., Blogger Philip said...

Those are some fine looking pumpkins!

 
At October 03, 2005 4:56 p.m., Blogger cmhl said...

I love the pumpkin picture!!! gorgeous!!!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.