Monday, October 10, 2005

just say no to giblets

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to those who are celebrating today!

How come Canadian Thanksgiving is in October? Beats me. I did some research and learned that the first official Thanksgiving Day after Confederation took place on April 15, 1872 to celebrate the recovery of Prince of Wales' from a serious illness. I guess that's as good a reason as any. Up until 1957, parliament announced a different date for Thanksgiving every year until they finally made up their minds and proclaimed the second Monday in October to be the official Canadian Thanksgiving. Canada also has an earlier harvest than the U.S. so giving thanks when the crops are at their best makes sense.

Our bird (5 kg/11 lbs. - any bigger and it wouldn't have fit) is roasting in the oven and later on we'll be having homemade cranberry sauce, green bean bundles (bacon!!), braised red cabbage and mashed potatoes to go along with it. Yum. You'll notice that the gravy and the stuffing (dressing) are missing. That's because we aren't gravy people at all and everyone except me hates stuffing. If I ate it all by myself, I would have to buy bigger jeans (again).

My pumpkin pie turned out just fine. This recipe is lightened up a bit, using whole or evaporated milk. You could, of course, use half and half (light cream?) or heavy cream if you wanted to be really decadent. I won't give a recipe for the pie crust because pastry is not my forte and the crust seems to turn out chewy (but entirely edible) no matter what recipe I use.

Pumpkin Pie (from Anne Lindsay's Light Kitchen)

2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups cooked mashed pumpkin OR 1 can (14 oz/398 ml) pumpkin*
1 1/4 cups (300 ml) whole milk OR 2% evaporated milk
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp each ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice**
pinch salt

1 unbaked 9-inch (23 cm) pie shell

1. In bowl, beat together eggs, pumkin, milk, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Pour into pie shell.

2. Bake at 425°F (220°C) oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F (180°C); bake for 45 minutes or until firm to the touch and knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream.

*if you can't find canned pumpkin where you are, you can cut up a pumpkin and scrape out and discard the stringy insides. Peel and chop up the rest into smallish pieces and cook in a saucepan with a bit of water until tender. Then mash or puree the cooked pumpkin until smooth. It's a good idea to drain it well in a strainer after this step, otherwise your pie may come out watery.

**You can vary the spices according to taste. I like a bit more ginger flavour and a pinch of cloves thrown in there.



gobble gobble

9 Comments:

At October 10, 2005 2:07 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Happy thanksgiving!

 
At October 10, 2005 2:13 PM, Anonymous Belinda said...

Happy thanksgiving, eh!

Have a lovely dinner (sounds delicious!) and a word about the crust, if it's chewy- it could be due to the humidity in your region. Whenever I bake on a more humid day something always goes astray :(

and omg i love stuffing! I've had to resort to making my own since I can't get the Stovetop here easily.

scary lemme tell ya lol

 
At October 10, 2005 2:21 PM, Anonymous Karl said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Great weather this year too. We'll be celebrating in about 5 - 6 weeks. Good thing you mentioned that with the pumpkin innards because we can't find canned pumpkin here and I have a pumpkin to carve this weekend.

 
At October 10, 2005 3:08 PM, Blogger J said...

Happy Canadian to you, Cristina!

 
At October 10, 2005 4:32 PM, Blogger traveller one said...

Happy Thanksgivig from another expat Canadian! I am reading your wonderful blog and practically drooling over the photo of the pumpkin pie! I'll come back again to read more :)
Kim

 
At October 10, 2005 5:15 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Thanksgiving in Vancouver is quite rainy...
Your pumpkin pie looks incredible. We were festive and had pumpkin soup and I made pumpkin bread also yesterday.

 
At October 10, 2005 7:05 PM, Blogger Homer said...

That explains a lot! The shops were posting their Thanksgiving opening hours just as we left, and we commented that it was earlier in the year than we thought... didn't realise the US was different.

Expat Traveller, you've made me feel a bit better that it's raining in Van. All day I've been doing housework thinking "Bah humbug, this time last week I was up a mountain in Banff..." - good to know I'd have been confined to barracks today even if I were still in Canada!

 
At October 10, 2005 8:36 PM, Anonymous Haddock said...

I've never had pumkin pie. We have a pumpkin to carve for Halloween so with your recipe Mrs H and I will have a go.

Happy thanksgiving - wonder if it will make the current Prince of Wales feel any better? :)

 
At October 10, 2005 10:56 PM, Blogger DUSIE said...

okay now, did you have to butcher the bird all on your own...hehe, i know we 'American' a wee south of ya'll (and I'm not even from that south!) have much bigger turkeys...but I have NO idea on where to purchase one? I've heard rumors about going to a farm somewhere...anyway, our ridiculously small kitchen has a even more ridiculous little oven...so, 'if' we celebrate, which since I am the only one who would think to, I will have to be inventive. Oh and I am SOOOO glad CA has T-Day first!!!! I'm going to try the recipe...my pumpkins should be ripe and ready by then...well, if not sooner... canned pumkin does rock tho. I am glad tho tht kurbis soup is so damn popular around here! ANd with the heavy cream and yummy Swiss breads.....mmmmm....yummy.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.