Thursday, October 20, 2005

googly eyes


I couldn't blog yesterday quite simply because I couldn't see straight.

My little monkeys begged and pleaded with me to take them downtown yesterday afternoon to watch The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl in 3-D. Being such a pushover, I agreed. What could be the harm of a little 3-D kids' movie, I thought to myself, forgetting that the last 3-D film I had seen was Creature from the Black Lagoon at "two-for-one-Tuesdays" way back in the 80's when I was a perky co-ed at the ol' alma mater. Now I remember why I've avoided this kind of entertainment since then. My poor old eyes just can't take it.

I've had poor eyesight for as long as I can remember and had to start wearing glasses when I was only 6 years old. I've heard of people whose vision improved as they got older. Mine did not. I may (reportedly) have eyes the colour of a tropical sea, but that's about all they're good for. Purely decorative.

It wouldn't be so bad if both eyes were equally myopic, but as it stands now, my right eye is much worse than my left, due to pretty severe astigmatism that can only be corrected to a certain degree with glasses or contact lenses. I often have problems with focus and depth perception, and as we all know, 3-D movies are all about depth perception.

So after purchasing the movie tickets, handed to us along with our original Lava Girl 3-D Glasses, we settled down in our seats and prepared for the adventure. When the GLASSES ON sign appeared on the screen, I donned my spiffy cardboard specs and found that my eyes immediately began battling it out as to which one was seeing what. Way too much red (left) and not enough blue (right). My right eye is used to sort of coasting along and letting the left one do all the work, so this new challenge suprised the hell out of it, I guess. I narrowly avoided short circuiting my brain and ended up watching without the glasses most of the time, eventually nodding off. Not surprising considering the lameness of this very cheesy movie. The kids enjoyed it, but I'm thinking my money would have been better spent on laser surgery.

8 Comments:

At October 20, 2005 5:56 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

ouch; I felt your pain with that one. I have still avoided IMAX with my 4 year old; he would be thrilled by it but it would probably make my stomach turn.

 
At October 20, 2005 11:59 PM, Blogger christina said...

Cathy - I haven't been to IMAX in ages but I remember it making me really dizzy!

 
At October 21, 2005 10:17 AM, Anonymous haddock said...

I went to IMAX in London and really enjoyed it.
My brother had laser surgery to his eyes and he says it's fantastic as he can see things again. However I dont think I could cope with stuff being done to my eyes when I am awake.

 
At October 21, 2005 1:49 PM, Blogger hippo_pepperpot said...

Rollie said that I can have laser surgery when I turn 40... that is in a year!!! I am so going to hold him to that one! My eyes are total crap...same prob as yours. I can not wait.

wv: Lizzy Bravo

 
At October 21, 2005 2:24 PM, Blogger Belinda said...

I'm sooooooooooooo scared to get that Lasik surgery. That whole "being conscious and awake while someone is burning and cutting your eyeball" really doesn't appeal to me.

I have really bad eyesight and it would be much better if I just got the darn surgery but I'll give it a few more years.

A few more years and a lotta booze will give me the courage lol

 
At October 21, 2005 6:18 PM, Blogger christina said...

I'm saving up for it but I think it will be a while and I'm not even sure yet if I'd be a good candidate. Even if I had the money, the thought of someone messing with my eyeballs really does freak me out! :-o

 
At October 21, 2005 7:03 PM, Blogger MarkD60 said...

At least you got to keep the cool sunglasses!

 
At October 22, 2005 4:34 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

I have a macular hole in my right eye, meaning I'm legally blind in that eye and have no depth perception, and the thought of lasik scares the heck out of me! It is surgery, there's a chance of blindness, and no amount of convenience is worth losing eyesight. I'd tread very very carefully because you could potentially end up with worse vision afterwards.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.