Thursday, October 06, 2005

fair to middling

As the days get cooler, our little town has been blanketed in fog every morning since the beginning of the week. When I send the boys off to school, they disappear into the mist after only a couple of metres. The fog usually clears about noon, sometimes the sun even comes out but by that time everything is covered with a wet film, almost as if it had been raining for several hours. You never know what kind of weather you're going to get from one minute to the next around here. But hang on a second.

A couple of days ago, we became the proud owners of a "weather station" for our upstairs bathroom. It's a digital, radio-controlled wonder with all sorts of buttons and displays. Not only does it tell you the time, date, and indoor/outdoor temperature, it also records humidity, barometric pressure and moon phases. Mr. M is a great fan of clocks, both digital and analog, radios and thermometers. All kinds of thermometers. He MUST know what the outside temperature is at all times, and opening a window or door and sticking his head out will not do at all. This new toy is right up his alley.

Small diagrams of sun, clouds and rain tell you what outfit to pick out for the day before you've even dried off from your shower. The part I like best is that along with the humidity percentage, they've included a tiny "smiley" face, looking very sad when he thinks the humidity in the bathroom is too high, moving to appearing only slightly concerned when the level starts to drop. At about 55%, the little guy actually cracks a smile and stays that way until someone takes a shower again. Very cute.

I have to admit this thing is pretty cool. But sometimes I'm wary of all this electronic stuff - what happens when it malfunctions or the batteries run out and we don't have any fresh ones in the house? How will Mr. M know what the weather's like then? Will panic break out? I doubt it. But if things get really bad, I have my old faithful standby right here. Been carrying it around with me for years and it hasn't failed me yet. Reliable, accurate, no batteries and it works anywhere in the world.

Take a look.


don't rain on my parade

(click to enlarge)

12 Comments:

At October 06, 2005 4:50 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

lovely - at least yours never requires you to worry about the batteries!

 
At October 06, 2005 6:49 PM, Anonymous Mar (once ensurt) said...

Love your barometer! I also must know what the temperature is at all times - in all rooms & outdoors. I have a few devices at home, maybe a side effect of the years in Germany...

 
At October 06, 2005 7:54 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

I have wondered about those thingies! I think I like the string one better though!

 
At October 07, 2005 2:46 AM, Anonymous lillian said...

I still haven't figured out what it is about men and their gadgets.. ?

 
At October 07, 2005 7:50 AM, Blogger christina said...

lillian - we also have about 13 remote controls! :-)

 
At October 07, 2005 9:28 AM, Anonymous haddock said...

That sounds exactly like the weather station that I bought last month. I had to replace my last one as I fiddled with it and it broke.
But the barometric pressuer reads wrong on my new one (about 25mbar too low) that's probably because they are calibrated a sea level.
Don't suppose you could ask your hubby if he knows how to adjust the barometric pressure.
We English are obsessed about the weather! :)

 
At October 07, 2005 11:15 AM, Blogger hippo_pepperpot said...

Oh my Rollie would love a weather station! Maybe a good idea for a Christmas prezzie...he he he. I like yours better, I must admit! Very cute!

xx

 
At October 07, 2005 11:51 AM, Blogger christina said...

Haddock - I'll ask him - our is from Mebus and only has an arrow indicating if the pressure is falling or rising - no actual reading.

Hi Hippo! Yep, it would make a great Man Gift. Keep him busy for hours!

 
At October 07, 2005 4:58 PM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Hahahaha, that official BC barometer cracks me up!

 
At October 07, 2005 6:31 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

At first I thought that BC barometer was serious! That is so funny! I'm a low-tech person too, I use to have a palm pilot and I still have a few gadgets (mp3 player etc.), but a lot of technologies are over-rated. The latest thing to have in the States are the cellphones that take pictures, and I still don't have one of those.

 
At October 07, 2005 7:39 PM, Anonymous haddock said...

My weather station is from Mebus as well - it shows and indication and also shows the mb reading as well.
Must admit I am a bit of a weather junkie :)

 
At October 08, 2005 10:15 AM, Blogger Belinda said...

my fatherinlaw is obsessed with knowing the weather/pressure/whathave you. He has about 4 thermometers and one weather station from Tchibo that he got for his b'day lol. He has an electric one too that sends info from the garden into the house :| I mean c'mon who needs to know that?!

I'm SOOOOO making him this for Christmas lolol

We're having misty mornings here too. The sun is starting to come out a bit now but the hills are still covered.

Have a good weekend Mausi ;)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.