Monday, October 03, 2005

east meets west

On October 3, 1990, just three months after I arrived in Germany for good, East and West Germany were declared one. Now, 15 years later and a little worse for wear, both of us are still surviving. Today, like every October 3rd since the fall of the Berlin Wall, is German Reunification Day.

Mr. M and I enjoyed a long weekend in Berlin in 1988 and I can remember looking at the Berlin Wall and thinking , "Wow, this thing has got to come down." And come down it did. Some were ecstatic. Others were not. Many are still not. After all these years there's still talk of "Ossies" and "Wessies" and "Zonies". I wonder how long it will take before those words disappear.

We went back to Berlin several years ago and marveled at the progress that had been made. Our small, pleasant hotel in the Pankow district of former East Germany was about a 20 minute tram ride away from Berlin's centre so we got a good look at the scenery as we rode into town each day. We did all the things that tourists do, moving freely between what had once been east and west and it was almost as if that wall had never been there.

******************************

Today is also the last day of Oktoberfest in Munich. A little more than an hour to go before they shoo everyone out and take down the tents until next year. I was looking at my stats the other day and saw that some poor depraved soul had found my blog by googling "wiesn skirt p*rn". Hee! So sorry to disappoint you, dear.

4 Comments:

At October 03, 2005 10:20 PM, Blogger In Actual Fact said...

I never visited Berlin before 89, but I did see the Inner German Border and the first time I visited German Ex-Girlfriend's home saw that the Autobahn Ausfahrt didn't really exist because it was the last exit before the border (they didn't get around to building a real slip-road until 2000). And you could still see where there was a swathe cut through the forest about 400m wide where the border had been. It's amazing now to think that it ever happened.

 
At October 03, 2005 10:52 PM, Blogger cmhl said...

ok, the rest of your post was great, but I honed in on the p@rn part . hahah!!!

BECAUSE, my laptop is making me crazy. I call in to India for tech support, and am describing what is happening, and finallly understand that they guy is asking me "have you been pulling up the s.ex sites?"

aaaaiiiiiiiieeeeeeee!!!

 
At October 04, 2005 4:09 AM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Hahahahaha, all those poor guyz looking for Wiesn Skirt P*rn gets a Mummy of two with a Dirndl. *LOL*

How do you view that kind of stats????

 
At October 05, 2005 4:57 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Hey Christina,

Love your blog. Very interesting history. I was a bit of a youngen back then, just in high school, but I clearly remember the events. It only took me about 10 years after that time to finally visit Europe for the first time! I've been to Eastern Germany and was so amazed about what has happened since the fall of communism. It is a good day to remember. Ah october fest is over...Such a lovely area...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.