Friday, September 30, 2005

tequila!

Yes, I've conquered the mystery flu and am up and cooking again. We've invited our friends over for Germanized pseudo-Mexican food tonight and I am hyped! I got limes! I got avocados! I got jalapeños! And it was Mexico Week at Lidl (why shop anywhere else?) this week so I got cheap taco shells and tortillas. Whee!

I'm making guacamole, tacos, vegetable burritos, and black bean and corn salsa.

And let's not forget the Tequila! Lots and lots of Tequila. Which I won't be drinking if I want to make it through the evening. The Tequila is for the real men. I thought the rest of us sissies could have virgin margaritas (I was hesitant to Google "virgin margarita", but it wasn't as interesting as I thought it would be). Must check to see what I can use for margarita glasses.

Many years ago my youngest brother had a nasty run in with a bottle of Tequila and a large plate of nachos and hasn't imbibed since. I wasn't there at the time but I hear it wasn't pretty.





Several Americans have informed me that Canada has really crappy Mexican food. Hmmph. They're probably right. But what you would get in Germany is much worse, I'm sure, because Germans like to put corn in everything and call it Mexican.

I've visited a total of three "authentic" Mexican restaurants: one in Vancouver, one on Maui and one Medford, Oregon, the latter being the one where I recall steam coming out of my ears, so that must have been the best one.

Olé!

12 Comments:

At September 30, 2005 1:35 PM, Blogger ChrisWoznitza said...

Hi I´m Chris. Greatings from Germany Bottrop !!

 
At September 30, 2005 3:46 PM, Blogger J said...

Hey, my local Lidl didn't have Mexican Week last week! No fair!

I know what you mean about 'Mexican' food here. My friends know that I won't go out to a so-called Mexican restaurant in Germany because of how bad they are.

 
At September 30, 2005 5:53 PM, Anonymous ensurt said...

Hi, you might like to try a tequila sour with your margarita glasses, mix 1 part of tequila, 2 parts of lemon juice, add sugar to taste, crushed ice..
Have a great evening!

 
At September 30, 2005 5:56 PM, Anonymous ensurt said...

or you can make it for the girls mixing 1 part of tequila, 3 parts of lemon juice...

 
At September 30, 2005 8:51 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

I have heard lots and lots of horro stories which involved the abuse of tequila.

As such I choose to abstain from it.

But you have a great night now, y'hear?

 
At September 30, 2005 11:28 PM, Blogger cmhl said...

ohhhh yummy!! bring on teh tequila!!

 
At October 01, 2005 8:14 AM, Anonymous Haddock said...

I've had my fair share of Tequila evenings over the years. Like Ms Mac I abstain from it now. It's a health thing :)

 
At October 01, 2005 8:38 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Thanks for the Lidl tip - I'll have to go out an stock up on tortillas!
It's time to up and harvest my jalapenos and make that year's supply of salsa again anyhow.

 
At October 01, 2005 10:48 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

I brought my tortilla maker with me when I moved to Korea and it has come in very handy! No good Mexican restaurants around here, either. Have fun, sounds like you're going to have a great meal.

 
At October 01, 2005 5:09 PM, Blogger hippo_pepperpot said...

I miss the good mexican restaurants back in Arizona... there is no substitute. There are all different types of mexican food too... waaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaa... my fav was beet rolled tacos w/ guac and sour cream... w/ melted cheese... chicken enchiladas.... fish tacos.... I could go on and on... waaaaaaaa haaaaa... Richardsons was my fav .... and Filiberto's for fast food.... oh well.

 
At October 01, 2005 6:04 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

I LOVE Mexican food and even when I was in Spain last May, my husband & I still ate at a Mexican restuarant there. Chicago has some really really great Mexican restaurants and I am addicted to Margaritas!

 
At October 02, 2005 8:42 PM, Blogger lily b said...

Hi, hope you had a delicious Mexican feast. Crystal gave me a link to this post because I posted about a Mexican restaurant in Victoria. Actually it was about a guy peeing in the parking lot outside, but the quotes around Mexican must have given her a clue about the food. I can't imagine what it must be like in Germany, so far from Mexico.

You're right about the food in Medford probably being the most authentic. There's a large Mexican population in the Northwest so you can find at least one good restaurant in almost every town.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.