Monday, September 12, 2005

hey, now you can get drunk anywhere!

(Thought I'd post this today since I got maybe three hours sleep last night and woke up this morning feeling like I had the world's biggest hangover and am therefore very, very cranky. I blame it on the cheese.)

Leave it to the party-hardy German Spaßgesellschaft (hard to translate, but "pleasure-seeking society" will have to do for now) to come up with this stuff. Alcohol in powder form. Just add water. Wow.


Prost!

"Alcopops", those sweet alcoholic mixed drinks served in bottles, are very popular in Germany, where excessive alcohol consumption among young people is on the rise. In an attempt to curb this trend, a tax of 80 to 90 Euro cents per bottle was imposed last year making the drinks too expensive for many teens.

Subyou to the rescue, so to speak. No tax, no bottles to deal with, and a really "cool"(=aggressive) internet marketing campaign aimed directly at teenagers. You know, the ones who are supposed to be drinking less? Great. Just great. Anything to make a buck, eh?

Though we have some of this weirdness at home, I haven't tried it yet, and probably never will. I've heard the taste described as being "nasty", and reading over the ingredients on the label, I can believe it.

This article (in English) describes the concerns of those opposed to this new way of feeding the habit. I would tend to agree with them.

7 Comments:

At September 12, 2005 10:10 AM, Blogger swissmiss said...

They actually outlawed something similar to this in Switzerland, IIRC. I think it was in a tube form, though, like those power gels athletes gulp during competition. Drinking, smoking, and toking are on the rise among young people in CH, too. I think we have the distiction of the highest percentage of teen pot smokers in Europe.

 
At September 12, 2005 11:46 AM, Blogger christina said...

swissmiss - yes, I've read that about teenahe pot consumption in Switzerland - kids as young as 12 or 13 hanging around in the streets, I think? Amazing what goes on in these seemingly mild-mannered European countries, isn't it?

But I guess I shouldn't talk, seeing as I grew up in N. America's weed capital. Never touched the stuff, though. :-)

 
At September 12, 2005 7:02 PM, Blogger cmhl said...

I did not know there WAS such a thing. wow. I would think it would have potential to be nasty..

 
At September 12, 2005 10:41 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

They sound vile, but I was more surprised by one of the other articles: that Berlin only banned smoking in schools a year ago, and over 16's still can if they have a letter from their parents!
Christina - I will never get used to the pot culture in Van. WHY would anyone want to smoke something that smells so rank? I got offered more drugs on Wreck Beach in 90 minutes than in my previous 27 years.

 
At September 13, 2005 9:56 AM, Blogger swissmiss said...

Christina - back in Small Village the waiting room of our little train station was set for about 5 to 7 degrees Celcius in the winter. When R complained he was told that they can't make it too warm or the kids will hang out there all night smoking pot! Many a time I've walked into that room and smelled a familiar smell...

I'm not a total Puritan in these matters, but I certainly DO NOT want the Small Boy smoking, toking, or drinking in his early to mid-teens! I'd certainly hope for never in the smoking and toking department. Now that I'm a parent, I see the young alcohol/drug consumption in a whole different light - like, peer pressure on my son! One more thing to worry about

 
At September 13, 2005 10:54 AM, Blogger christina said...

Hannah - there are a ton of scary articles on Germany at that Deutsche Welle site. That's the "real" Germany, unfortunately. The fact that all schools are not yet completey smoke-free drives me bonkers. And as for all the pot in Vancouver - I dunno. I was never into that scene at all, but it IS everywhere, isn't it. Naked pot smoking - only in Vancouver, eh?

swissmiss - well, yeah, I'm not a Puritan either and I was a teenager once too, but there is a limit to how far things should go and I certainly don't want my kids getting into stuff like that.

 
At September 14, 2005 8:49 AM, Anonymous Belinda said...

I read the article and somehow it really makes me sick that companies will circumvent regulation to continue preying on the youth. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prude- well I'm more old-fashioned than most my age- but I think there has to come a point were kids really have real childhoods again.

The target age groups of these companies really just scares me. At 12/13 I was still running around outdoors enjoying being a child.

I dunno, there's just so much pressure on the youth today, moreso than we had I suppose. :(

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.