Thursday, September 08, 2005

gimme back my mojo right now

I'm having kind of a zero motivation week, thus the lack of blogging. Really, really REALLY tired all the time and not feeling all that enthusiastic about anything much. Somtimes I wonder how (or if) I'm going to be able to stand 25 more year of this.

HOWEVER, let it be known that I, Queen of Sitting Around, exercised 6 times in the last 9 days - real exercise, too - aerobic power walking and Pilates. I think that deserves a pat on the head. Or maybe even a plate of bicuits and gravy? Please? (Not being a southern belle, I've never actually eaten biscuits and gravy, but they do sound good.)

I tutored my biology student for the first time today after the summer holidays. It's always nice to see her and we had fun. She's in her thirties, but hasn't really travelled much and now she and her husband have planned a two-week trip to China in October. She's really excited about it. I asked her why China and she said that they had first considered New Zealand, but found it to be beyond their budget. Then they looked into going to Canada and vetoed that too. "You know, because of the bears", she said, in a very serious voice. I had to laugh out loud, but she's right. My parents regularily have bears in their garden and we were witness to one last year when we were visiting. No big deal though. You leave them alone, they leave you alone. Usually.

The animal shelter is on the agenda for tomorrow. Dream Dog still hasn't appeared, but we won't give up trying.

Yesterday evening Mr. M was reading through a flyer for one of our local discount supermarkets which seems to stock more inedible than edible items:

Mr: Look! They're selling a radio and toaster in one! Who the heck needs that? You should post a picture of it on your glob thingie on the internet.
Me: On my WHAT?
Mr: Your glob. You know, that thing you're always writing.
Me: (Laughing) Oh, you mean my BLOG!
Mr: Yeah - blog - that's it. Blog, glob, I'll never get all this internet stuff straight.
Me: That's all right, Schnucki, that's what I'm here for. You just keep on going to work and earning the money, OK?

It's "French Week" at above mentioned supermarket. Mostly edible things this time, so I'm going to trot down there now and see what I can scoop up for dinner tonight. I just know I'll succumb to those lovely French cheeses. Why do they have to taste so good?

7 Comments:

At September 08, 2005 12:08 PM, Anonymous Belinda said...

dear lord what will they come up with next?? As someone that shuns gadgets (except computers and my digi cam) I cannot imagine how I would reconcile the smell of burning toast and some random schlager song coming from the same machine :o I can barely figure out how to use a cellphone. Heck, half the time I can't figure out how to use our regular phone :(

(and btw biscuits and gravy are yum)

 
At September 08, 2005 12:54 PM, Anonymous Karl said...

glob? Yeah, my wife is the same way. Couldn't care less what a blog is. When I told her I had one she asked my if that was going to be required reading. No way!

But about the bears, that's pretty funny. It's also one of the reasons I don't really like to go running in northern Wisconsin: they have *black* bears. Brown bears, I guess, are more or less harmless though.

 
At September 08, 2005 2:29 PM, Blogger christina said...

Belinda - yeah, really - think of how hard it would be to clean that thing!

Karl - the funniest thing was that we speak to each other in German all the time, so when he said "glob" he wasn't even aware of its meaning in English and I had to explain that too.

As for the bears, they *are* black bears, the dangerous kind if you don't deal with them properly. There are tons of them in West Vancouver and the North Shore now, attracted by people not storing their garbage properly or having bird seed (they've destroyed my parents' bird feeder at least twice), fruit trees and berries in their gardens. Sightings of coyotes are also on the rise. Viva la Wild West!

 
At September 08, 2005 4:34 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Glob! That's a good one!

 
At September 08, 2005 8:03 PM, Blogger swissmiss said...

6 times in 9 days I am impressed. Does taking the boy for walks count? Boy, I haven't gotten my heart rate up in 16 months. Unless labor counts?

I know what you mean about can I really do this for another 25 years... sometimes when I'm cooking I wonder how on earth I'm going to keep coming up with dinner ideas for the next 40 years. It's just exhausting to think about!

 
At September 09, 2005 9:34 AM, Blogger J said...

Hmmm...perhaps we should change the title of the meetup to 'First Annual Whiney Expat Globbers in Germany Meet Up - 22 October 2005 in Marburg'?

 
At September 09, 2005 1:30 PM, Blogger christina said...

swissmiss - you know, I was actually much fitter when I was pushing my babies up and down hills in their strollers all day. And being in labour DEFINITELY counts for something.

J - good idea! We should get some "I'm totally globbing this" T-shirts printed up.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.