Monday, September 05, 2005

the days are just packed

I'm exhausted. Anyone can do anything for 15 minutes, that's what FlyLady, patron saint of the disorganized always says. I thought I'd get to it today and try to get a few things done in 15 minute increments. I went a little overboard, it seems.

On Friday Mr. M and I went to the building centre to check out their Schnäppchen Markt (a Schnäppchen is a really good deal). Lots of bits and bobs there but nothing that caught our fancy. Just as we were about to leave we saw they had a bunch of plants for 50% off. Being in a money-saving frame of mind anyway, we came away with a whole carload - hydrangeas, lavender, garden hibiscus, asters etc. - all really cheap. Today I thought I'd start by just popping a few plants into the front garden, moving on to something else right away, but 15 minutes turned into about five hours and I ended up totally trashing the entire garden, ripping this out and replacing it with that, moving things around until I was mostly satisfied with how it looked. Not quite right, but it's an improvement. Everything was just getting too overgrown. By the time I was finished I was dripping with sweat and fairly cranky. A productive kind of cranky, though.

Friday evening we went to our friends' for dinner and had a good time although the mood was not that great since their 15 yr old daughter, S., was recovering from a concussion she got by being hit by a heavy ball right at the base of her skull last Monday in gym class. She wasn't feeling any better by Thursday so they had her checked out at the hospital. The doctors really couldn't find anything serious but since she was still in a lot of pain and they wanted to get to the bottom of it, they made her come back Saturday and Sunday and have now decided that the poor girl also has whiplash and will have to wear a neck brace and have physical therapy later on. Excellent. To top it all off, her mum phoned the school to ask if she could pick up S.'s text books which were handed out on Tuesday when S was absent. The school said they couldn't possibly find the time to arrange that and left her hanging. More on this and other lousy schools another day because that is a rant in itself.

The weather was fabulous all weekend and we spent most of our time hanging out on the terrace relaxing. Sunday all the boys took a bike ride to their favourite frog pond to visit the frogs and pick some apples that were growing wild.


Boy9's tiny frog friend


Boy12 really knows his apples

5 Comments:

At September 06, 2005 3:46 a.m., Blogger Hannah said...

Poor S - 15 is too young to get any mileage out of the nickname "Miss Whiplash", isn't it! The circumstances sound a bit suspect, she's not being bullied is she?

That tiny frog is GORGEOUS!

Things I couldn't do for 15 minutes: pretty much anything aerobic, sit next to someone chewing gum, be in the same roon as a snake, watch Nancy Grace on TV.

Thanks for the suggestion about word recognition; however it has taken my mum seven months to learn how to leave comments and I daren't confuse her!

 
At September 06, 2005 10:07 a.m., Blogger Ms Mac said...

That really is a tiny frog! I would love to have been out in a garden for that long. Not so keen on working though, I always used to be the foreman when there was gardening to be done!

 
At September 06, 2005 4:18 p.m., Blogger Crystal said...

I wish I had a garden to tear up, I've got a ton of houseplants instead and a few container plants on my balcony. The froggy is adorable!

 
At September 06, 2005 4:34 p.m., Anonymous Belinda said...

I went to the flylady website out of curiosity. I suppose I was in denial about my lack of a routine lol. Our house is soooooo messy. I mean I do the laundry, dishes, cooking and vacuming. But somehow there is just an amazing amount of clutter everywhere. To be fair, we just don't have enough storage furniture (closets, shelves etc) for the stuff we have. I kinda moved into a single boys apartment you know? It's like, christian woke up one morning and literally had 5 times the amount of stuff as before :|

I'm going to try her tips- because seriously, the poor apartment needs it :(

 
At September 07, 2005 3:36 p.m., Blogger cmhl said...

that is a sweet picture, of him holding the frog. cute.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.