Tuesday, September 20, 2005

and Bingo was his name-o!

We started off the English library group this afternoon by singing "Bingo", everyone's favourite kids' song. You know, the one with the farmer's dog and the B-I-N-G-O and all the clapping. Lots of fun and no one even mentioned my serious lack o' singing skills.

I had a totally different group today because half of last week's crew were told by someone or other (the right hand never knows what the left hand is doing at this school) that this week's class had been cancelled and kids who were missing last week showed up this time. Then there were a couple of strays who snuck in somehow so I let them stay too. It was nice to see all their little brains working and producing things they thought they had forgotten.

My English friend F and her little boy R, 2 yrs, 8 months old, visited for a few hours this morning. They showed up an hour early so you can imagine how things looked since I had planned on having that extra hour to make a dent in the mess. No rest for the perpetually disorganized.

F is overjoyed to have finally gotten a place for her son at a kindergarten one town over from where they live. He'll be able to start when he turns 3 at the end of January. Because he is deaf, he needs to be in an integrated kindergarten where "normal" (whatever that is) children and those with physical or mental disabilities are put into one group. Getting a placement can be difficult if not impossible so F is feeling very lucky. R is doing extremely well with his cochlear implant and is speaking more clearly and using a much larger vocabulary than many of his hearing peers. He's quite the bright little boy and seems to have a photographic memory which I think will serve him well when he starts attending elementary school.

In order to start kindergarten, R needs to be potty trained by next year, so the race is on. He's got his fancy Thomas the Tank Engine underpants to help with the transition and today he only had one tiny little accident (good thing we don't have carpets!) while insisting that he absolutely, postively and most certainly didn't need to go. "Kein Pipi machen, Mama!" he was shouting as his mum whisked him off to the bathroom for the third time. Little kids are so funny. Especially other people's little kids who I don't have to potty train!

F's struggle to reach a sensible divorce settlement (i.e. one not involving blackmail) with her soon-to-be-ex-husband continues, and steam comes out of my ears every time I talk about it with her. But we won't go into details here.

Besides the good company, once nice things about F's visits is that she often comes bearing small gifts. This time my eyes filled with tears when I saw what she had smuggled back in her suitcase for me from her last trip to England a couple of months ago. It's like manna from heaven, I tell you.



Bingo!

9 Comments:

At September 21, 2005 3:00 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

enjoyed reading your blog today. sounds like your a great friend to your friends and deserve the tetley; I personally prefer King Cole, however :)

 
At September 21, 2005 8:05 AM, Anonymous haddock said...

English T-bags.....Tetley.....I'm off for another cuppa. I can survive life without most things, but not without tea!

Is the little boy being raised bi-lingual?

 
At September 21, 2005 8:15 AM, Blogger christina said...

Cathy - thanks! Back home I always drank Red Rose, but Tetley will have to do.

Haddock - because he's profoundly deaf it was just too complicated for his mum to raise him bilingually since all the therapy and support he's getting is in German. I know some people have done it, but she has so many other problems right now that it's just not feasable. I think it's a real shame because she saw what I had done with my kids and had such high hopes before he was born.

 
At September 21, 2005 9:34 AM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Ahhhh tea bags. I can live without everything else but living without proper tea bags is akin to barbarism.

And tetley! Ooooh, you are posh! ;-)

 
At September 21, 2005 9:54 AM, Blogger christina said...

ms mac - yes, I AM posh, aren't I? At least until my 40 tea bags are gone. :-)

 
At September 21, 2005 9:57 AM, Blogger euro-trac said...

A Canadian, living in Germany who likes UK Tea bags! I am impressed!!

 
At September 21, 2005 12:20 PM, Blogger Calamity Tat said...

Like I said t'other day, get that kettle on......

 
At September 21, 2005 2:44 PM, Blogger christina said...

euro-trac - well, they don't call my home province British Columbia for nothing! Lots of Tetley tea drinkers there.

Tat - I ate all the muffins. Better make new ones!

 
At September 21, 2005 10:49 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Divorce must really suck for expat wives, and I hope your friend has a good support system and a job!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.