Thursday, September 01, 2005

adieu, froot loops

(Posting this in an effort to lighten things up a bit)

Like many of us in the blogosphere (what a strange word) I seem to have piled on the pounds over the summer, eating this and that and these and those and not paying much attention to the fatty deposits forming around my middle. Now I need to get serious about getting them off again. So far this week I've done my 3-mile aerobic walking tape three times and will try to continue to make time to exercise each and every day until I have undone the damage and then some.

Ever since Boy9 was born, I've had problems with hip, leg and foot pain, mostly on the left side, and no one seems to be able to explain it, however it doesn't seem to be exercise-related at all. When I approached my regular doctor about it he just said "Ach, we're all getting older." Well, thanks, that's really helpful. I'm sure some of it is the autoimmune stuff coming back to haunt me, but I do know that as a small child, I had some sort of foot and leg problem that required special footwear. One of my very first memories is of Halloween 1965, me being allowed to go over to the neighbours' with my trick-or-treat bag. My costume? Plastic princess mask, pink stretch pants and fabulous brown orthopedic shoes. Somehow I've never gotten around to asking my mother what the heck was wrong with my feet. But if I do find out, you can bet I'll be faced with spending hundreds of Mr. M's hard-earned euros on fancy orthotics and what have you.

Anway, along with exercising, I'll be trying to eat more responsibly. Starting tomorrow, that is, because our neighbours came home from Spain this week, bearing gifts of food too delicious to pass up. Some fabulous allioli ("Mmm...you could take a bath in this stuff!", one of our friends likes to say) and a large chorizo sausage are now lurking in my kitchen, tempting me to have just a taste.

And what's with the Froot Loops? Well, I don't eat those all the time, but when they're around, I'll start munching on those seemingly harmless little rings and never stop. I think now would be a good time to get that under control.

Wish me luck.

I'll need it.


not my breakfast any more

11 Comments:

At September 01, 2005 1:48 p.m., Blogger Ms Mac said...

Good luck!!! I'll be with you... just as soon as I finish this chocolate!

 
At September 01, 2005 2:04 p.m., Anonymous Haddock said...

Good luck as well..... I have been seriously considering doing some sort of excercise, but I'm still stuck in the feasibilty stage.

 
At September 01, 2005 2:10 p.m., Blogger christina said...

ms. mac - I already finished off the rest of my chocolate stash at 9 a.m. this morning. Had to get it out of the house somehow!

Mr Haddock - "the feasibility stage" LOL! Maybe you could get off the train a bit early and walk to work the rest of the way? :-)

 
At September 01, 2005 2:38 p.m., Anonymous Belinda said...

Froot Loops are my favourite after fruity pebbles (which I've sadly not found here).

Those little round sugar demons!!!!

I'm dieting now too. Let me tell you, it's so freakin' hard for me. I've gone semi-vegetarian. I only eat white meat now - chicken breast and fish. I have cut carbs completely save for the ONE skittle I had on the train ride home the other day.

If you need a diet buddy, I'm in.

 
At September 01, 2005 2:39 p.m., Anonymous Karl said...

We've got Fruit Loops at home too and they are addictive. Good luck!

 
At September 01, 2005 3:16 p.m., Blogger cmhl said...

good luck-- I'm working on the weight thing too. it's hard, isn't it?

 
At September 01, 2005 3:30 p.m., Blogger christina said...

Yes, it is really hard! I'm not really one to go on a diet per se, I just want to be more fit and be aware of what I'm eating, making the most of every meal instead of wasting calories on crap. Not that Froot Loops are crap or anything. :-)

 
At September 02, 2005 1:00 p.m., Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Good luck then! *hmmmmmm* Froot loops!!!!

 
At September 02, 2005 11:08 p.m., Blogger Crystal said...

Grus Gott! I'm that same way, I get chunky in summer and then feel the pressure to slim down come Fall, to fit back into my sleek slim trousers. I think it's because I wear lots of skirts and loose fitting cargo pants in summer, so I can afford to carry the extra 5lbs or so. Of course, all the icecream I eat duriing the warmer months doesn't help either!

 
At September 03, 2005 8:17 a.m., Blogger Karen said...

Just stop buying froot loops! ;-)

 
At September 03, 2005 10:25 p.m., Blogger christina said...

Crystal - yeah, loose summer clothes definitely cover up a lot of poundage.

Karen - Huh,easy for you to say. :-) But hey, aren't you the one with a certain weakness for Cap'n Crunch? :-)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.