Monday, August 22, 2005

you know what they say about houseguests and fish...*

Whew...all this entertaining has really been cutting into my blogging time!

The visitors came to stay at our place last Thursday and since then I have been able to live out my wildest B&B fantasies. B&B being bed and breakfast, of course, with lunch and dinner and laundry thrown in to boot. Make a meal, eat it, clean up, start all over again. Lather, rinse, repeat. And every time you turn around there's a little Spanish kid behind you asking for a glass of "agua sin gas, por favor". But I didn't mind any of it. I may be a terrible housekeeper, but I'm a fabulous hostess. Hors d'oeuvre, anyone?

They were going to stay until tomorrow but Diego's mother's caught the flu and needs a bit of taking care of so they packed up their stuff and went back to her apartment this evening. We're hoping she doesn't infect them all with whatever it is she has because they're flying back to Spain on Sunday. Having 8 people crammed into a small house wasn't always that relaxing, but they were wonderful guests and we were sorry to see them go.

The language problem, if you want to call it that, sorted itself out perfectly. My Spanish improved in leaps and bounds and I found I could understand an awful lot of what Diego's wife M was saying even if I couldn't produce much. She could also get most of what I said in German and we relied on female intuition for the rest. Much to our delight, the kids all got along famously and weren't at all bothered by the fact that one side wasn't always quite sure of what the other side was saying.

Saturday night we had a little party in our friends' honour - 8 adults, 5 kids - hostess heaven. A couple of the other guests hadn't seen Diego for 17 years and had never met his wife and children, so there was lots of catching up to do. Our friends T and K brought their wedding album since Diego had been an usher on that occasion and we whipped out our own album to prove that we, too, were once young and beautiful. Lots of laughs all around.

I'm winding down now from all the excitement and trying to recharge my mental batteries. That's why I'm still up at 1:45 a.m. The boys start school again on Thursday and there's lots to do.




(*after three days, both of them start to smell. Ha ha!)

6 Comments:

At August 22, 2005 7:39 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Hosting visitors for eight days - you deserve a medal of some sort, that's for sure!
But it sounds like everyone (including you) had a good time and that's the "Hauptsache" ;-)

 
At August 22, 2005 4:42 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Hosting your guests must have been fun AND exhausting. Having new people around adds some spice to life and I wish I had more visitors/guests coming around, but I'm sure you're happy for things to get back to normal by now.

 
At August 22, 2005 5:36 PM, Blogger Bernadette said...

You are the hostess with the mostess, indeed!

 
At August 22, 2005 11:22 PM, Anonymous Haddock said...

Sounds like fun. Not sure if I could handle visitors for so long so easily :)

 
At August 22, 2005 11:38 PM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Sounds just marvelous. I've got Ferien...or rather Vorlesungsfreie Zeit until November! O.o Talk about free time! I need to get a job, badly. Although I'm still not allowed to do anything real until at least September...*g*

 
At August 23, 2005 9:42 PM, Blogger christina said...

Well, it was really only 4 days that they were actually at our house, but it felt like more since we also went on a couple of outing before that. I guess the language and culture barriers make it a bit more difficult to make sure your guests are having a good time.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.