Wednesday, August 10, 2005

the silence is deafening

This is the second week of Mr. M's holidays and I must admit that the family togetherness is getting to me. Therefore, all individuals with XY chromosomes have been banned from the house until late this afternoon. The boys, large and small, have gone swimming today, followed by lunch at Mel's Diner (who I see haven't updated their site since 2003) and topped off with a visit to the place that passes for a shopping mall around here.

Boy am I enjoying the peace and quiet. Sounds mean, but being the most introverted of introverts, I need my time alone and go batty if I don't get it. Also? I am one of those "ooh, shiny!" people - I'm very unfocused and easily distracted. Sometimes, in fact, my life seems to be just one big distraction after another and I have tremendous trouble finishing what I start. Take this glaring example: a couple of years ago I thought it would be fun to dust off my brain and do a distance-learning "Introduction to German-English Translation" course for which I shelled out a large amount of money. Eight assignments on a variety of topics, three year time limit. No problem, right? Right. How many assignments have I done? Two. In two years. Pitiful? Yes, most definitely. Do I feel like a loser? You betcha.

So I'm using my time today to get motivated again and finish this damn thing up so I can get my certificate and...um...have another piece of paper to hang on the wall, I guess.

6 Comments:

At August 10, 2005 4:38 PM, Blogger Renee said...

Ich stimme zu! I just sent A. back to work after 2 weeks of togetherness. Whew! I love him and all... but I am so happy to have my house and routine back to normal! :)

 
At August 10, 2005 7:06 PM, Blogger swissmiss said...

R is basically on vacation until September 1st too. Although it's very very useful to have him around to help unpack and organize after the move, and we need to buy a few new pieces of furniture and what-not, it's a bit wierd having him around all the time. It's hard to get into a routine.

A translation course sounds interesting. Would you market yourself as a translator when you get the certificate, or just decorate the walls with it?

 
At August 10, 2005 9:14 PM, Blogger J said...

Swimming? I hope it's a lot warmer up there than here, or that they went to an indoor pool.

 
At August 11, 2005 1:28 PM, Blogger Antipodeesse said...

I'm desperate to have some time to myself at home: Hubby says I can go to town or where-ever I like for a whole day, but he doesn't get it! I want to do stuff at home, without interruptions... *sighs*

 
At August 11, 2005 7:11 PM, Blogger christina said...

blondelibrarian- I know, I know! Just imagine what it will be like when they retire. :-)

swissmiss- I'd love to get into translation work but I don't have much experience and this course is really just an introductory one and doesn't qualify you for much of anything. Then again, you don't actually need any official qualifications to be a free-lance translator.

J - yep an indoor pool for sure. We're freezing our buns off up here too!

antipo - EXACTLY!!! They just don't understand, do they? *sighs right along with you*

 
At August 12, 2005 7:18 PM, Blogger Philip said...

You know, I shouldn't have read this post before I head to the beach for a week of togetherness...

I can always go for a long walk on the shore though. Just hoping for good weather...

Glad you're finishing your course.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.