Sunday, August 28, 2005

mmm...marshmallows

(First things first: ChicagoKarl has posted an adorable picture of his son on his first day of school. Go take a look.)

Mr. M and I were alone for dinner tonight since the boys were still at their various birthday parties, so seeing as the weather was so nice today for a change, we decided to have our own little Grillfest. Normally we'd use the gas grill, but we had so many briquets left over from I can't remember when that we dusted off the ancient (homemade) charcoal grill and did it the old-fashioned way. *cough cough*



See those long brown crispy looking objects? Those are called Partyfackeln - "party torches". Actually just a fancy way of saying "pork belly on a stick". This delicacy runs a close second to bacon on our list of tasty things that must be eaten in moderation if we want to reach retirement age. Almost pure fat, but worth every calorie. To add some semblance of nutrition to the meal, I also threw in some vegetables, a couple of which look like they are trying to escape. The little foil plate contains snails in garlic butter, one of Mr. M's passions. Poor little things never had a chance.

A couple of weeks ago, I spied some Greek Halloumi cheese in our local supermarket and decided to give it a try. Supposedly it's great for grilling because it doesn't lose its shape. So when the first batch of goodies was finished, the cheese got popped onto the barbeque along with some garlic and coriander pita bread. The bread was lovely. And the cheese? Interesting. And salty. And very, very squeaky. Really.

When the boys finally arrived home, we handed out the pointed sticks and roasted marshmallows as a grand finale to the evening.

6 Comments:

At August 29, 2005 10:04 AM, Anonymous haddock said...

The weather has got better, so we will grill this evening. Just sausages & steaks....nothing as sophisticated at Halloumi cheese though.
Love the idea of the snails. I've not had any in years.

 
At August 29, 2005 10:57 AM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Awwwwww...yummy, Grillfest. I haven't been to one at all this year! *heul*

 
At August 29, 2005 11:32 AM, Blogger christina said...

Mr Haddock - I don't think we'll be eating that cheese again - it really does squeak between your teeth. My husband bought the snails frozen at Metro, I think. You just need to warm them up. They're much better than the canned ones.

Elemm - there's still time! Find a patch of grass and light a fire!

 
At August 29, 2005 4:47 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Looks real *yummy*! I didn't have a chance to grill all summer, but Labor Day is coming up so maybe it'll happen.

 
At August 30, 2005 4:59 AM, Blogger J said...

Okay, now I'm very hungry and yearning for a barbeque. I haven't had one in years (living in a flat does that to you).

 
At August 31, 2005 8:37 AM, Anonymous Belinda said...

I was aaaaaall excited about trying that cheese until I read your comment about "squeaking". I find that quite frightening LOL

I've always wanted to try grilling cheese but I never know which kind. I think Feta works but I guess I just have to give it a whirl -

The speckbauch is soooooooo delicious but it's like an instant heart attack. And the guilt that comes with eating it *le sigh*

glad you're getting to enjoy the weather :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.