Sunday, August 14, 2005

it never rains but it pours

If you know me and my procrastinating ways, you may have guessed that despite my good intentions, I got barely anything done yesterday.

After fiddling around all morning I left the house really late to go downtown and only had a couple of hours before I had to turn around and come back home. In those couple of hours I did actually manage to buy some school supplies and, more importantly, some much needed new make up. I hadn't bought any in ages and it was about time. My natural colouring doesn't lend itself to the no make up look, unfortunately, so I need a little help sometimes. I am now the proud owner of a flawless "Sand Beige" complexion, "Madeira" cheeks, "Drop of Sherry" lips and "Slate"-rimmed eyes.

But what good is being gorgeous when one's house is still a mess, I ask you? Will they be so dazzled that they won't notice the grime? I doubt it.

I also managed to break the insomnia cycle by getting to bed by 10:30 p.m. last night and not dragging myself out from under the covers until 10 a.m. this morning. Go me.

**************************************

And now in the "it never rains..." department:

On Friday our German/Spanish amigo Diego, who has caught a nasty cold, called to say that there was "something wrong with the car". My car, that is. The car they borrowed for the time they are here. It was making weird noises. Mr.M knew right away what it was, since the noise was the same noise it had made some time ago when a certain spring thingie had a piece broken off of it. Don't ask me what kind of spring thingie it was - something to do with the steering, I think. Luckily, the last time it happened Mr. M had bought TWO replacement springs at eBay so he had a spare one. My illustrious and talented husband also gets ten points for having had the foresight to do an apprenticeship as an auto mechanic in his younger years before deciding to become an engineer. Men can be so useful sometimes.

Diego brought the car over at about 11 a.m. and the two guys got to work. Well, Mr. M worked and Diego stood there holding an umbrella over his head because it was pouring rain.


my poor little car


the offending part

The broken spring was replaced in no time and they came inside to dry off and have some nice hot soup that I had whipped up in the meantime (my secret ingredient? whatever happened to be hanging around in the fridge needing to be used up).The soup actually saved the day, because when Diego went to phone his wife at his mother's apartment, M reported that the power for the washing machine, the fridge AND the stove seemed to be off even though the fuses looked all right, and that they were heating up yesterday's leftover lentil soup on a camp stove. Diego was almost afraid to go home, since his mother had already been in a fierce mood when he left this morning, and having broken appliances/blown fuses probably hadn't improved her disposition much. Ah, the joys of visiting family. He did eventually leave and we haven't heard anything since so we're assuming things are OK.

3 Comments:

At August 14, 2005 11:34 p.m., Blogger christina said...

just testing

 
At August 15, 2005 8:47 a.m., Blogger Karen said...

That seems to be a series problem with the Twingo. Mine (both) had to be replaced during the last inspection as did those of my stepmom (also a Twingo fan).
I found it strange that Renault doesn't give "Kulanz" on them.
Good that your husband is so talented!

 
At August 15, 2005 4:40 p.m., Blogger christina said...

Thanks for the tip, Karen. That's good to know. We bought the car used and it had been in a minor accident so we thought maybe that had cracked the springs a bit.

Yes, I'm very grateful for having a mechanic in the house!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.