Monday, August 15, 2005

I think you missed a spot

I finally got the *@&#! upstairs bathroom done today. There is NO way it should take so long to clean a room and I swear it's the room, not me. That's one of the things that bugs me about living in this house. Everything is either half finished, totally impractical, or broken and there's no relief in sight. I'm too tired to whine about the fugly, fugly bathroom right now, but I promise I will someday.

After I got over fuming about the bathroom, I decided to start tackling my junk drawer in the kitchen. That drawer is my own private little hell. I don't know how all that stuff got in there, but I'm determined to get it out. Getting it done in one go, however, would certainly cause a mental meltdown, because my brain doesn't do well with visual clutter. So what I'm doing is reaching in there and removing 10 or 15 articles at a time, hoping to find proper homes for them. The garbage can, for instance, or perhaps needy people who live far, far away and can actually use this crap.

What I dug out today:
  • large googly eye
  • partridge in a pear tree cookie stamp
  • bottle cap depicting Leonardo da Vinci's "Vetruvian Man"
  • "Norway" lapel pin
  • totem pole bottle opener
  • sushi mat
  • sheriff's star with Boy12's name on it
  • lobster pick
  • old "Passionate Pink" lipstick
  • heart-shaped balloon
  • plastic vampire fangs
  • half a blue birthday candle
  • Santa Claus earring
  • collapsible cup from the island of Guernsey
  • tiny vial containing preserved specimens of stages 1-3 in the life cycle of the Pacific Salmon

Is there smoke coming out of your ears yet?

8 Comments:

At August 16, 2005 7:56 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Grin. It's amazing, what collects in such drawers, isn't it?
But I can't imagine living without such a drawer - there are specific things that just BELONG there and I wouldn't find them anywhere else :-)

 
At August 16, 2005 10:14 PM, Anonymous lizardek said...

hahahaha!!! I have several drawers like that! What a hoot :)

 
At August 16, 2005 10:51 PM, Blogger christina said...

Liz and Karen - yeah, I kind of like the drawer too, but that was only about a fifth of what's in it and I can't even get it open any more!

 
At August 17, 2005 2:15 AM, Blogger Bernadette said...

Ah--the catch-all drawer? I'd love to see the Da Vinci cap!

 
At August 17, 2005 12:29 PM, Anonymous Belinda said...

I don't have a drawer full of the randomness- I have suitcases. I travel maybe once a year so the suitcases are empty and just hanging about. So I gather all the stuff that has no place to go (old clothes, shoes inappropriate for the season, papers, books and lord knows what else) and shove them into the cases. No orifice left unoccupied...lol.

One day, I'll have to go on vacation and THEN I'll open a drawer to dump that stuff in so I can pack.

When I move next year I just dread taking out all the stuff and actually organising it. :(

 
At August 18, 2005 8:35 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

At least you only have a "junk drawer", I've got junk closets! The one negative of living in an apartment as opposed to a house is the lack of storage space, plus I'm a bit of a clutterbug and accumulate way too much useless stuff.

 
At August 19, 2005 11:43 AM, Blogger mama jens said...

its funny how there are these certain spaces, or corners, or whole rooms even that always get ignored. it is like there is just this mental block on dealing with them. and those junk drawers.... i love them, for their taking every little thing i just need to get off the counter, and i hate them, for being these cluttered, awful messes. congrats on trying to tackle one.

 
At August 19, 2005 1:41 PM, Blogger Antipodeesse said...

But your junk sounds so much more interesting than mine!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.