Tuesday, August 09, 2005

hard sauce: a contradiction in terms

Antipodeesse has asked me for my recipe for hard sauce and some of you are probably wondering what in the world that stuff is. Well, according to this entry at Wikipedia, it's

a cold dessert sauce made by creaming or beating butter and sugar with rum, brandy, whiskey, vanilla or other flavoring. It is typically served with plum pudding, bread pudding, Indian pudding, hasty pudding, and other heavy puddings as well as with fruitcakes and gingerbread. Though it is called a sauce, it is not liquid or smooth.

As for my recipe - I'm afraid I don't have one, Antipo - we don't really do a proper Christmas dinner around these parts, and it's been a long time since I spent the holidays in Canada. But I looked up several recipes on the net and they all seem to be quite similar to what I remember. So here I present to you in all its artery clogging goodness...

...Hard Sauce

1 cup butter
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons brandy (or orange juice)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in brandy and vanilla extract, a little at a time, until incorporated into creamed mixture.

Place in bowl, chill 1 hour and serve by spoonfuls over warm cake or pudding.

That is if you haven't already eaten most of it yourself! Must test these things to make sure they are OK.

1 Comments:

At August 11, 2005 1:26 p.m., Blogger Antipodeesse said...

I'm running out to buy some brandy right away! Many thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.