Tuesday, August 30, 2005

#1 dumbass reporting in for duty, sir!

I may be an awful housekeeper, but I DO usally manage to keep most of the paperwork - bills, school stuff etc. - around here in order. No problem there. Until today. After three days at school, Boy12 informed me this morning that he doesn't have his chemistry book, that in fact he never had one. Because it was 7 a.m. in the morning and I was only semi-conscious, I tried to keep the arguing down to a minimum but insisted that This Could Not Possibly Be My Fault because I had personally gone to the bookstore a couple of weeks ago and picked up the textbooks I had ordered for him. I even watched the woman check them all off on the list (or so I thought). He must have left the book lying around somewhere at school or in his room and would just have to search for it later, I maintained.

After he leaves, I start doing some heavy duty thinking along the lines of how I had only paid €69.55 for all the boys' books in instead of the almost €100 I thought I'd need to pay. To confirm the amount, I dig through my purse for the receipt which I am SURE must be in there somewhere. It isn't. It's lost. Of course.

But by some miracle I still have the book list and am able to calculate that the €69.55 plus the €29.95 (highway robbery, anyone?)for the errant chemistry book would have added up to €99.50. Eureka!! If only I had been paying attention. Mr. M was actually there along with me, but swears he can't remember a thing. We were in a rush that day, doing some quick shopping and preparing for a party so neither of us were really with it, I guess.

So it turns out that this is, indeed, Entirely My Fault and I will have to go back to the bookstore ladies this afternoon (closed from 1 - 3 p.m., thank you very much!) and explain my predicament. Better than paying for a book and then not getting it, though, which is what happened last year when the woman sold me the school books and put all but one in my bag, phoning me later (but only because my number was on the book list I had given her) in a panic to tell me. Duh. Hmm...maybe I should think about sharing my Dumbass Award.

*update* All cleared up. They totally forgot to order that particular book but have now done so. It will be there on Thursday. I know it's not that big of a deal but I was just mad at myself for not double checking in the first place and catching it earlier (the kids get into trouble if they don't have their books with them at school) and for not keeping the receipt which I ordinarily would do.

4 Comments:

At August 30, 2005 5:20 PM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Awwwww....that didn't sound too bad. Still, you can get the book.

 
At August 30, 2005 7:20 PM, Anonymous Karl said...

You realize that you're being just a tad too harsh with yourself :-)

 
At August 30, 2005 8:58 PM, Blogger PapaScott said...

I'll have my first encounter with the German school system in 12 months, when Christopher starts 1st grade, but I'm already looking forward to the things I'm going to hate about it:

1. Half-day school, the kids come home at 1 pm
2. No substitute teachers, send the kids home early if a teacher is sick
3. You have to buy your own books

 
At August 30, 2005 9:43 PM, Blogger christina said...

Scott - it's certainly an adventure. Differences here in Lower Saxony:

1)Yes, a big pain having the elementary students out at 12:45 (the older one, 7th grade, gets home at either 1 or 2 p.m. depending on his schedule)
2)We now have the "Verlässliche Grundschule" which guarantees that the kids from grades 1 - 4 are looked after until the end of the school day. No one gets sent home any more, thank goodness.
3)We can now borrow many text books from the school (for a fee) and have to buy the rest. Still darned expensive.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.