Thursday, July 07, 2005

Kommt mir vor wie eine halbe Ewigkeit

Oh god, is it still language week? All right then. Here are three things I used to be able to do but can't do any more:

  • count to ten in either Mandarin or Cantonese, can't remember which one
  • say "I can't speak Japanese" in Japanese
  • say "I love you, my little kitten" in Greek (don't ask)


First I'll whine in German, then in English, OK?


Heute vor 15 Jahren bin ich am Flughafen Hannover aus dem Flugzeug ausgestiegen und habe mein neues Leben in Deutschland angefangen. Damals saß meine rosarote Brille ganz fest. Die habe ich aber ganz schnell verloren und durch ein anderes Model ersetzt. Jetzt wo ich das, was vor mir steht, viel klarer sehen kann, frage ich mich ob alles wirklich wert war.

Translation: 15 years ago today I got off the plane at the Hannover airport and started my new life in Germany. Back then I had my rose-coloured glasses firmly in place. I soon lost them, however, and replaced them with a different model. Now that I can see so much more clearly what's in front of me, I ask myself if it was all worth it.



7 Comments:

At July 07, 2005 12:23 p.m., Blogger Ms Mac said...

Hmmm, my rose coloured glasses came off a lot sooner than expected too. Will I be like you in 15 years time, I wonder?

 
At July 07, 2005 12:39 p.m., Blogger christina said...

Not if you manage to keep that sense of humour, ms mac!

 
At July 07, 2005 2:54 p.m., Blogger jen said...

Ich höre Sie, Schwester. Ich wundere mich, wenn jene steigen-farbigen Gläser zurückgekauft werden können.

 
At July 08, 2005 10:20 a.m., Blogger J said...

My rose coloured glasses came off after about six months here.

I'd wish you a happy anniversary, but I'm pretty sure those are the wrong words. So, I'll say 'Congratulations on surviving the last 15 years without killing anybody'.

 
At July 08, 2005 6:53 p.m., Anonymous haddock said...

Cmon Ladies.......Germany is a wonderful place.......the people are so friendly, the sound of the language is like a nightingale in full song. Its like heaven on earth.....
Hmmm its funny......these glasses I am wearing do seem a bit odd.

 
At July 08, 2005 7:44 p.m., Blogger christina said...

Well, at least YOU'RE here to cheer us up with the English humour, Mr. Haddock! :-)

"like a nightingale in full song" LOL!

 
At July 09, 2005 11:35 p.m., Blogger cncz said...

Gosh, I've only been "living abroad for the forseeable future" for like a year. Before I was always in France, but for finite periods of time. I am already asking myself if I was worth it. The jury will probably stay out for a while...sigh...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.