Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Ich blogge, ich bloggte, ich habe gebloggt


Dafür, daß sie kaum Gelegenheit hatte die Sprache zu üben, konnte meine Oma ziemlich gut Englisch. Wir wußten nie so genau, wie oder wo sie das alles gelernt hat. Sie konnte es einfach. Zum Glück, weil mein Deutsch damals ziemlich schlecht war.

Ich und meine zwei jungere Brüder wurden leider nicht zweisprachig erzogen. Mit seinen deutschsprachigen Freunden und Bekannten in Vancouver hat mein Vater Deutsch gesprochen, aber ganz selten mit uns Kindern. Ich glaube, es gab dafür einige Gründe. Erstens konnte meine Mutter fast kein Deutsch und zweitens sprach (und spricht) mein Vater Vorarlberger Dialekt, was sich sehr von Hochdeutsch unterscheidet. Ich denke, er hat sich einfach nicht getraut und wußte nicht, wie er es anstellen sollte. Daher freute es ihn umso mehr, daß wir unsere Jungs zweisprachig erzogen haben.

Translation: For someone who didn't have much opportunity to practice the langage, my Oma's English was pretty good. We never knew how or when she learned what she knew. She just knew it. Thank goodness for that, because my German was pretty bad back then.

Unfortunately we weren't raised bilingually. My father spoke German to his German-speaking friends and aquaintances in Vancouver, but rarely to us kids. I think there may have been a couple of reasons for this. Firstly, my mother could hardly speak German at all, and secondly, my father spoke (and speaks) a Vorarlberg dialect, which is very different from High German. I think he just didn't have the confidence to do it and didn't really know how to go about it. So he's doubly pleased that we've raised our boys bilingually.


***************

In other unbelievably exciting news: last night we were all supposed to go to Mr. M's goddaughter's birthday party. However when Boy9 got home from school yesterday afternoon he conked out on the sofa for three hours and woke up with a raging fever. Great. I got to stay home and nurse him back to health while Papa and Boy12 went off to party with the birthday girl. Just before they were about to leave, Boy12 started raising a huge fuss and when I asked him what his problem was and he said, "If you and Boy9 aren't there, all the old grannies are going to corner me and bug me the whole evening." I told them he was right and that they were probably all practicing their cheek pinching at that very moment. Turns out he did get cornered for about 15 minutes and given the third degree about school, how tall he was getting (Ooh, he's walkin' already!), if he had a girlfriend (he hates girls, this week, anyway) and so on and so forth. Poor guy.

Boy9 is still draped over the sofa like a limp rag but seems to be somewhat better. Looks like one of those summer viruses. 7 kids in his class were absent last Friday the day after the field trip so something must be going around.

And I actually got off my rapidly expanding behind today and watered the crispy-looking garden. Also threw away all my Summer 2004 catalogues. Packrat or what? I'm on a decluttering roll, though. Thanks to the two pairs of 7/8 length s-t-r-e-t-c-h jeans I bought on Saturday when I was downtown, I am once again able to bend over and pick things up without having my circulation cut off. The house should be looking much tidier in future.

***************

Boy12: Mummy, how many t-shirts am I taking with me to summer camp?
Me: Well, at least 15, I guess. One for each day and a few extras, right?
Boy12: Phew. That's good to know. I don't want to be like that kid who was there last time and wore the same t-shirt for two weeks!

Boy12: Look, we're learning about "Karl the Big" in history class now.
Me: Karl the WHO?
Boy12: You know, "Karl der Große" - "Karl the Big"
Me: Ahh, you mean "Charles the Great"
Boy12: Oh. Why does English have to be so hard?

5 Comments:

At July 06, 2005 3:57 PM, Blogger J said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At July 06, 2005 3:59 PM, Blogger J said...

LOL @ Karl the Big

 
At July 07, 2005 7:55 AM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Charles the Great is also Charlemagne, yes?

Poor Boy9, hope he's feeling better by now.

Also, thank the lord for stretch!

 
At July 07, 2005 9:04 AM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Hahahaha, 'Karl the Big'...kinda shady.

 
At July 07, 2005 9:10 AM, Blogger christina said...

Ms mac - yeah, also known as Charlemagne, Carolus Magnus and whatever else. Just not Karl the Big!

Boy9 is feeling much better, thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.