Thursday, July 21, 2005

all better now

Well, that was fun. The headache only lasted until late Monday night, but then I got busy doing other stuff and haven't had much chance to blog.

Friday night's dinner with the father-in-law turned out to be lovely. I mean the food - the FIL was the same as usual. I had a sushi, sashimi and tempura combo that was beautifully presented and very tasty. We rarely go out to eat since the restaurants here are mediocre and overpriced for what you get, but this was worth it, especially since we weren't paying. Heh.

One thing that got me a bit ruffled was meeting a neighbour of my in-laws' in the stairwell of their apartment building as we were on our way to the restaurant. He asked where we were going, and when we told him, instead of saying, "Oh, great! Have a nice meal!" the old guy says, "Sushi? Bah, can't stand the stuff. I don't like rice, I don't like fish...and I can't be bothered with those Asians anyway." Why do people insist on being so ignorant and unpleasant? I suppose I'm especially sensitive, being an Ausländerin myself, but is it really necessary to go spouting your (prejudiced, uninformed) opinions to all and sundry whenever and wherever it suits you?

Except for me getting the killer migraine, dropping off Boy12 at camp was uneventful. He got all his stuff unpacked in record time and ran off with his buddies, hardly giving us a backward glance. A postcard today has confirmed that he is still alive and that his team found the treasure chest (full of Snickers!). He and his tent mate, who is also his best friend, were a bit put off at first at having another kid in their tent with them due to poor planning on someone else's part, but I'm sure they're managing just fine.


la dolce vita (check out the giant feet on this boy - he's only 12!)



5 star accommodation?


On the drive back we stopped at a roadside stand for some wonderful fresh blueberries and cherries. Had it not been for my head, I would have enjoyed the day. I guess the long car drive and the heat just did me in. I don't do well at all in moving vehicles, be it planes, boats or cars.

Meanwhile, Boy9 and I have been having a grand old time at home. Mr. M can only take two weeks holidays in August this year when we'll be hosting visitors from Spain, so the little guy and I are on our own until then. So far he's been playing on the water slide in the garden with his best pal from school a lot and doing various arts and crafts projects.


faster than a speeding bullet.


Yesterday he and I went to lunch at Burger King (lord help us all) and then to see "Madagascar". The movie was a bit silly, I thought, and they could have made much more out of it, especially with the penguins, who were great. As far as I'm concerned, Pixar still runs circles around Dreamworks. I don't seem to be able to see a movie, any movie, these days without falling asleep after about an hour. I've had this problem for a number of years and haven't figured it out yet. No matter how loud, or how much action, you'll find me nodding off and dropping my popcorn all over the floor.

Speaking of sleeping, I'm dead tired today. Didn't sleep well at all last night and I've just looked at the calendar and noticed that there's a full moon tonight so I know I'll be tossing and turning once again. Great.

8 Comments:

At July 21, 2005 11:03 p.m., Anonymous JV said...

> Why do people insist on being so ignorant and unpleasant?

Being from the South, I hear stuff like this from a lot of older people. I accept that they're a product of their culture and times, that they have opinions I consider prejudiced, and that I'm not going to change them. But what bugs me is that they just assume everyone else thinks like they do. If I had those thoughts, I'd at least have the decency to keep them to myself.

Hi from Michele!

 
At July 21, 2005 11:22 p.m., Blogger christina said...

Hi jv! Thanks for dropping by. Yeah, there was no way I was going to even try to argue with that old man. Probably never been out of his own back yard.

 
At July 23, 2005 2:04 p.m., Blogger Ms Mac said...

Well, your inlaws' neighbour seems to be a right charmer. I hate listening to stuff like that, especially Swiss people who say, "Oh but you're not the type of immigrant I'm talking about" as they dig themselves out of their bigoted hole they just fell into.

Arrgghhh! Being and Auslanderin is hard work sometimes!

On the other matters, that's some size feet there on boy12! Does he swim? Ian Thorpe has huge feet and we all know how fast he is and how rich he has become!

 
At July 23, 2005 3:11 p.m., Blogger christina said...

ms mac - he swims quite well but he's not at all athletic. He'll probably end up being as tall as his dad so the big feet will come in handy some day!

I've had that too with people making rude remarks about foreigners right in front of me and then saying "Oh, but you're not really a foreigner, are you?" Silly twits.

 
At July 23, 2005 4:05 p.m., Blogger Pieces of Me said...

I hope you get some rest soon! I totally agree about madagascar it could have been so much better...I was disappointed! TTYL here from michele's!

 
At July 23, 2005 4:16 p.m., Blogger Dirty Dick Dodger said...

Hi, Michele sent me.
My kids enjoyed Madagaskar, but they like watching Spongebob over and over again.

 
At July 23, 2005 5:10 p.m., Blogger christina said...

Thanks for visiting, Diana!

Dirty Dick - oh yeah, even *I* like to watch SpongeBob over and over.

 
At July 23, 2005 6:56 p.m., Blogger jen said...

SO glad you're feeling better. I totally understand the migraine thing. Its just indescribible to someone whose never had one.

I get negative comments a lot. Unlike Ms. Mac, I'm the auslander they're talking about, it seems.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.