Wednesday, June 29, 2005

winding things up for the summer

Today was the final meeting of the library volunteers before the school holidays in two weeks time. Two years ago Boy9's elementary school didn't even have a library, if you can believe it. Thanks to a bunch of energetic mothers, it became a reality and the kids love it. I sort of joined in after things had gotten organized, so I don't really count myself as one of the Library Ladies, but I guess I've done my part in keeping things running. Like the time I helped make 365 "candles" out of painted corks and wooden skewers to help celebrate the library's first birthday. That was fun.

Just as we were starting our discussion this morning, the school principal came in and invited us all to a surprise breakfast to thank us for our contributions and to celebrate the successful parent/teacher co-operation. Germans are really big on breakfast, especially ein gemütliches Frühstück - a cozy breakfast. And cozy it was. The table was decorated with flowers and pretty serviettes. Candles were lit and the usual rolls, cold cuts, cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes, jam etc. were served with a glass of sparkling wine to wash it all down. Yeah, sparkling wine at 8:45 a.m. No wonder I never get anything done around here.

Anyway, it was very nice and a couple of the mothers took the time to tell me that their daughters had enjoyed my little weekly group very much and had gotten good marks in their regular English class because of it. Sort of made me feel more a part of the community, like I kind of belong here and have some sort of a purpose. I don't feel like that very often.

The three high school students I tutor have signed off until school starts again at the end of August so I'm only left with the university student on Thursdays and she's no trouble at all. I really need to concentrate on getting things around here in order and I'm going to take the summer to do that. Living in chaos all the time is getting old, you know? "If in doubt, throw it out" is my new motto.

Tomorrow Boy9 is going on a field trip with his class and has to be at the train station at 7:30 a.m. so I'll have to be showered, dressed and beautified by 7. Bleh. I like schlepping around in my bathrobe much better. The kids are visiting an ecology centre and are supposed to bring a fishing net. 26 children with fishing nets. On the train. With all the other regular commuters going to work. Can you picture it? I did my share when I went to the museum with them in April so I'll let some other mothers take care of this one. Heh.

Friday is Canada Day, a big day in our house. The flag is already waving. Pictures may be forthcoming if the weather holds out. There are rumours of a big thunderstorm coming our way tonight and the weather staying iffy until the weekend.

One last thing - I haven't managed to reduce my caffeine intake by much, but suddenly I'm sleeping like a log every night. Can't figure out what that's all about. Maybe it's the blog therapy? Whining to the internet seems to be a Good Thing. For me, at least.

4 Comments:

At June 30, 2005 10:20 PM, Blogger J said...

Happy Canada Day! I hope you and your family have had a great day. Please blog about your celebration!

 
At June 30, 2005 10:21 PM, Blogger J said...

Whoops, a bit early. Sorry.

 
At June 30, 2005 10:31 PM, Blogger christina said...

Thanks, J! It will just be the four of us so it won't be all that exciting.

 
At July 01, 2005 9:14 AM, Blogger J said...

Oddly enough, I frequently forget about US holidays. I didn't know it was Thanksgiving last year until I received an email from a friend wishing me a happy day.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.