Monday, June 27, 2005

Siebenschläfertag

For someone who had a shot (or two) of vodka last night after dinner, I'm feeling pretty damn good today. Seems like my arch nemesis hardly affected me at all this time. Maybe I should stick to hard liquor in future. Our neighbours were delightful, as usual. They brought over some leftovers from a barbeque they'd had on Saturday, so we had just tons of food and were stuffed by the time dinner was over. But there's always room for vodka. I think I see a Cosmopolitan in my future.

*********

Das Wetter am Siebenschläfertag sieben Wochen bleiben mag

Today is known as Siebenschläfertag in Germany. German weather folklore claims that the weather on June 27th predicts the conditions for the next seven weeks. Apparently they're right on most of the time too, even though before the Gregorian calendar reform the real Siebenschläfertag was between July 5th and 7th. Go figure.

I did a bit more research on this and discovered that this day got its name from seven shepherds who were prosecuted for being Christians way back in 251 B.C. Legend has it that the Roman Emperor Decius sealed them up in a cave in Ephesus (known these days as Selcuk, Turkey) and when someone opened it up in 447 A.D, 196 years later, out they all popped, fresh as daises. Shortly after this blessed event they died with halos around their heads and were promptly declared martyrs. That's the Christian story anyway, but because of similar pre-Christian legends, it's felt it may have been borrowed, as much of what makes up Christianity was.

Digging deeper, I found that there's also an animal called a Siebenschläfer. It's a dormouse (yes, that's the correct spelling) a sort of large, chubby mouse-like rodent that hibernates 7 months of the year, hence the name "seven sleeper". Nothing at all to do with martyrs or weather. As if I wasn't confused enough already.

7 Comments:

At June 27, 2005 3:57 PM, Anonymous Haddock said...

And I thought it was only the English that were obsessed with the weather :)

 
At June 27, 2005 6:07 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Blimey! It's so hot now, can I take 7 whole weeks of this?

 
At June 27, 2005 8:48 PM, Blogger J said...

Hey! You've stolen my post! My students told me about Siebenschläfertag and my British colleague told me about the dormouse and I was gonna blog about it this evening!

Thief!

:)

 
At June 27, 2005 11:22 PM, Blogger christina said...

Sorry, J! :-) You just go right ahead and blog about it anyway.

 
At June 28, 2005 8:57 AM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

I saw a picture of the Siebensläfer once, and it's soooooo cute! Just want to pick it up and cuddle up to it!

 
At June 28, 2005 9:12 AM, Blogger Angel of Music said...

I knew I loved the weather for some reason! Michele sent me today.... :0)

 
At June 29, 2005 2:50 PM, Blogger jen said...

7 more weeks!!! Thanks for telling me about that. My hubby never tells me things like this.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.