Sunday, June 19, 2005

my dog has fleas

Wait, that can't be right. We don't even have a dog. Or a ukulele. I guess I have fleas on the brain since this weekend was all about flea markets.

First it was the children's flea market on Friday afternoon at the elementary school where the kids managed to get rid of the big plastic roaring T-Rex and other assorted junk that someone else needs more than we do. They made a bit of money and came home with a DVD of The Incredibles. We'd seen it at the movie theatre in English and they were all excited at being able to see it again in German or English whenever they wanted. They're really interested in how certain expressions are translated and what names the characters are given.

The haul from the second flea market on Saturday included tent pegs, a small hand-held sewing machine (as seen on TV! and yes, it really does work), several books, a wrought iron combination hanging basket/candle holder (can you say fire hazard?), a remote-controlled airplane, an old curtain that Mr. M wants to make pillow cases out of, a bag of batting for stuffed animals (Boy9's creative passion at the moment), and a beautiful bouquet of terra-cotta coloured roses for me. Please believe me when I say we are drowning in stuff. Except for the flowers, of course. Mr. M has recently learned how much more pleasant life can be if you bring your wife flowers once in a while.

Today Mr. M and Boy12 went out for a short while and much to my amazement didn't buy much except for a book on origami. Upon seeing it I was immediately transported back to my childhood where I used to spend hours on that hobby. There's something so satisfying about creating a beautiful three dimensional form out of a thin square of coloured paper. I got some origami paper for my birthday last year and now have the incentive to use it. I haven't done anything really creative in such a long time. The business of raising a family and all that goes along with that seem to get in the way so often and usually I'm just happy if I can get the basics done and make it through the day. I used to be very creative and I miss it. Time to start making that a priority again.

Happy Father's Day to all those dads out there. I'm thinking of my dad today and will phone him later. He's 75, I'm 42,but he still thinks of me as his little girl, which I don't mind at all. I'm so grateful to have both my parents alive and relatively healthy and I miss them so much. If all goes well we'll get to to see them again at this time next year. Can't wait

4 Comments:

At June 19, 2005 10:05 p.m., Anonymous lizardek said...

Mr. M has recently learned how much more pleasant life can be if you bring your wife flowers once in a while.

I wish MY husband would learn that lesson!!

 
At June 22, 2005 4:14 a.m., Blogger Jodie said...

May I quote you on that? ;)

Jodie

 
At June 22, 2005 7:54 a.m., Blogger christina said...

Liz - it took years of training but he finally got it!

 
At June 22, 2005 8:40 a.m., Blogger christina said...

Jodie - I wonder if German husbands are more difficult to train than the regular kind? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.