Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Meh.

Despite getting a fairly good night’s sleep I’m feeling all headachy and crampy today. Just one of the joys of being a girl. I may just have to dip into my stash of Advil (Ibuprofen) that we brought back from our vacation last year. Yes, I know you can get the stuff here, but it’s about 4 times the price so I’ll have to ration my remaining supplies carefully.

I was too busy yesterday to recount my fun-filled weekend so I guess I’ll do it now. We didn’t meet our friends for dinner Friday because their daughter (Mr. M’s goddaughter) was ill with a slightly inflamed appendix which may or many not need to come out. Poor thing – she has a whole bunch of exams coming up for the last 6 weeks of eighth grade and now this.

Saturday morning after Mr. M. and Boy12 got back from the flea market I went out to run a few errands around town and came back at lunchtime to find my husband and our wonderful neighbour sitting on our terrace having an impromptu wine-tasting party. That morning Mr. M had purchasd one bottle each of Californian and Spanish red. And up from the depths of our basement came some cheap (like €1.69 a litre cheap) French plonk with a fancy label. So they were tasting away and I decide to be all grown-up and join in. I actually swore off alcohol years ago, not for any kind of moral reason, but simply because it usually makes me feel like crap, not just the morning after, but sometimes even half an hour after I drink it. Instant hangover, if you will. But me being me, I sort of forgot about that and managed a few sips (OK, half a glass in total) of each. And what do you know, no headache at all. Amazing. All was well until I started trying to unpack my groceries and felt my legs going numb. Oh oh. When the numbness spread to my brain I decided it was time to take a nap. Twenty minutes turned into 2 hours and I woke up strangely refreshed and not at all hungover. I’d probably try it again if it weren’t for the not-being-able-to–walk-properly part.

Oh yes, I almost forgot – right at the beginning of our little party the doorbell rang and I jumped up, thinking it was the postman with a long awaited package fom my mum. Hmmph, it wasn’t the postman at all, it was the Jehova’s Witnesses. Great. Every couple of years and just when I least expect it, they pop up again. Last year it was two darling little grannies who I would have happily invited in for tea if they hadn’t been trying to push their religious beliefs on me on my private property. We had a little chat at the door but after they heard what I had to say, they left pretty quickly. I guess I must have scared the…um…bejeezus out of them? Anyway, the visitors this time were a shiny young couple and as it turns out, they were the same ones that had been here a couple of years before looking for English speaking people.I think they have some kind of convention here during the summer and bring a bunch of young people over from the US. Someone in the neighbourhood must have tipped them off, but the last time they were here I was out shopping, thank goodness. So this time they asked if I knew of any English speakers in the area. And what did I do? I lied. In my very best German I told that I had absolutely no idea where they would find anyone like that. And they left. Just like that. Aren’t I mean?

Sunday was mostly spent doing the stuff I should have been doing on Saturday while I was busy being drunk. Mr. M and the boys decided to get out a bit so they hopped on their bikes and pedaled over to the next town for the annual Erdbeerfest – the Strawberry Festival. Check out the giant inflatable strawberry, the painted cow and the tractor rides. Wow. Apparently it was a bit of a soggy affair, since it had been raining on and off the whole weekend, and they somehow managed to time their visit to be too late for beer and bratwurst and too early for cake, but they got some good exercise in and came home with soft pretzels and a pint of lovely strawberries fresh from the field.

Now it's off the the library to educate the masses.

5 Comments:

At June 08, 2005 3:11 a.m., Blogger The Mistress of the Dark said...

Advil is the cure all!

Hello, Michele sent me. Hope you feel better. Headachey Crampyness stinks

 
At June 08, 2005 9:03 a.m., Anonymous Ivy said...

HI! here via michele..

being a girl does indeed sometimes suck. And I too would have lied to the couple who came to your door. ..

Hope your headache is better!
Ivy

 
At June 08, 2005 10:44 a.m., Anonymous Haddock said...

Ibuprofen rules!.......just had to take a couple myself, to ward off the affects of a couple glasses too much of the red stuff last night.
We picked up all our medical suppiles in the US last year when on holiday, and will do the same when we go back next year. It's just so much cheaper than Germany.
Hope the Ibuprofen kicked in and hope the headaches gone now.

 
At June 08, 2005 10:51 a.m., Blogger Ms Mac said...

I know about rationing out the painkillers! You have to have lost a limb to be awarded a paracetamol in this house!

Those Jehovas are everywhere, aren't they? I even had Swiss ones!

 
At June 15, 2005 9:53 a.m., Anonymous SnapHappy said...

I had a big smile on my face when you told of the Jehova witnesses. When I was living in New York I once had some visiting me and I actually wanted to say in german that I don't understand english, but instead I said it in english. They didn't seem to realize, because they left :-)

If you are in for a little humour on Jehovas Witnesses and the likes, and are not too sensitive if one exaggerates and goes a bit overboard with the "humour" maybe you like these two .... (in german)
Erst lesen, dann klingeln und
Herr Köhler

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.