Saturday, May 14, 2005

Size matters

Those bizarre creatures you see in the picture below are white asparagus, for white asparagus season is in full swing here right now. The stuff is everywhere, you can't get away from it. Before I moved here I never paid much attention to it. Green asparagus was what we ate. Some people loved it, others hated it. Seems like the whole of Germany is in love with white asparagus, though. The bigger, the better. Some of those spears are like tree trunks. Our neighbour passed 3 kg of these giants over the fence to us yesterday so I was busy trimming and peeling for hours. Mr. M. adores these pale, weird-looking stalks. To me it's just another vegetable. A bit blah, to be honest. It's usually served with butter or a Hollandaise sauce, boiled potatoes and some thinly sliced ham or a nice pork schnitzel on the side. Today I attempted a cream of asparagus soup using the trimmed ends and peels as a base and it turned out wonderfully, so that was my dinner. I'm sure we'll be getting another couple of truckloads of the stuff before the season is over, although I still can't figure out what all the fuss is about. But who am I to argue with the Germans, eh?

3 Comments:

At May 16, 2005 2:36 p.m., Blogger Michele said...

I always ignore the white stuff. It just looks freakish somehow. But I do love regular green asparagus. (my kids call them spearcons for some reason)
Roasted with a little lemon zest and minced garlic... Mmmm...

 
At May 17, 2005 3:36 a.m., Blogger TrueJerseyGirl said...

I am not a fan of asparagus...but then again, I am not a fan of green veggies. So I could possibly be tricked into trying these big white thingees.

 
At May 19, 2005 12:07 p.m., Blogger Ms Mac said...

Yuck! yuck! yuck! All of Switzerland is in love with it as well! Blech, blech, blech!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.