Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Is it Tuesday already?

The weekend was hot and sunny and we spent the better part of it in the garden relaxing and doing some much-needed weeding and re-locating of plants and also a bit of landscaping. May 1st marked our 10 year anniversary in this house and we STILL haven't got it the way we want it.

Sunday's sunshine gave way to a giant thundershower yesterday evening and this morning the fog was so thick you couldn't see the car in front of you on the road. Welcome to the weather in Northern Germany. I had to drive Boy12 to school because the buses are on strike so I was up and dressed early for a change. In about half an hour I have to go tame the wild beasts at the library and then in the afternoon it's tutoring the bored and indifferent teenagers.

And just to add to the excitement, we have rodent visitors in our furnace room. Field mice, to be exact. I am not afraid of mice and these ones are particularily adorable, but I still don't want them down there. We got rid of our oil furnace years ago and switched to natural gas which left us a very large room in the basement where the oil tank used to be. We use this room to store extra food and other junk. Someone (=Mr. M.) managed to spill some birdseed on the floor awhile ago and he said it looked like something had been nibbling on it. I wasn't sure until I came face to face with a mouse on Saturday night when I was going down to put something in the second fridge. Of course I was a bit shocked but I didn't scream or run around in circles like I would do with my other 10,000 phobias. We borrowed a humane trap from a friend, and using half a marshmallow as bait, caught the little nipper and set him free on the field near us. Just to be safe, we kept setting the trap and lo and behold, the mouse count is now up to three. There could be a whole army of them down there. Maybe it's time to throw some of the junk out and see what's behind it? Scary thought.

Here's a few pictures I took in the garden on the weekend.

1 Comments:

At May 03, 2005 12:03 PM, Blogger Just another American Expat said...

We missed the thunder shower down here. Instead, we went from 35 grad summer-weather to a gray drizzle.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.