Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Because I'm worth it

Yesterday morning I ventured into the Big City for a couple of hours because I needed a few things that you can't get here in Dullsville and ended up spontaneously buying myself the birthday present seen below. It was a bit pricey, I thought, but when I got home I checked it out on the internet and found that the quality is quite good. It just called out to me and I had to have it. I'm not normally impulsive about buying things, in fact it usually takes me ages to make up my mind. But isn't it cute? It makes me smile every time I look at it. I just love strawberries, don't you? Strawberry season has begun here so in about week we'll be able to pick our own at the field nearby. Yum.

Well, Boy9 has decided on a colour for his room. Kiwi green. Oy. Should be interesting. The walls have been stripped and we'll be putting in a couple of new electrical outlets and a new folding door to save space because the kids' rooms are incredibly small. German houses, older ones at least, usually don't come with built-in closets, so along with a bed and desk you also need a wardrobe, so it can be a tight squeeze. On Thursday the painting starts and the floor should go in on Friday if we're lucky. We haven't done any major renovations in quite a while, excluding the powder room which was finished just before Christmas and is now actually the nicest room in the house. Isn't that pitiful? We've been working on this house for 10 years now and still haven't got it right. Maybe someday.

Off to bake some stuff for my birthday tomorrow. The in-laws will be over for coffee in the afternoon and after we toss them out, Mr. M. has promised to make me a nice dinner. He fusses quite a bit when he has to cook but I'm sure he'll be fine.

5 Comments:

At May 24, 2005 11:57 PM, Anonymous actualfactual said...

"...and I had to have it."
I don't think scientists need to study the differences between men and women anymore.....

 
At May 25, 2005 8:08 AM, Blogger SwissTwist said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAUSI!!

Wishing you a wonderful day with lots of pressies, I hope you get spoilt!

Hugs

 
At May 25, 2005 8:34 AM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Zum Gegurtstag viel Glück!!!

Have a lovely day!

 
At May 25, 2005 10:57 PM, Anonymous JCS said...

Your discovery that German houses/flats do not have built-in closets is of utmost sociological importance. No German household can be complete without at least one Schrankwand. A Schrankwand usually has the imposing size of the Matterhorn and is almost impossible to move to a new place. This is one of the reasons why Germans rarely move to a new flat/house. Most Schrankwände are quite ugly, displaying dark faux wooden veneer or plain white surfaces. They usually turn German bedrooms into the most uncomfortable room of the whole house.
Oh, happy b-day by the way, eh.

 
At May 25, 2005 11:20 PM, Blogger christina said...

oh yes,jcs,those hideous Schrankwände. I think "Eiche Rustikal" should be part of everyone's vocabulary, don't you?

Thanks for all the birthday wishes!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.