Monday, April 25, 2005

Way too much stuff

We have three of everything. Really. But because you can never have enough stuff, Mr. M. and Boy12 get up at the crack of dawn (6:30 around these parts) EVERY Saturday and head off to the flea market in Hannover where they buy even more crap that no one needs. Soon every single nook and cranny in this house will be full and we'll have to move. This week's haul? 24 (!) teaspoons (yes, we've been stirring our coffee with our thumbs all these years), a set of outdoor garden lights, 3 XXL sweat shirts, 4 plants for the rock garden, a Game Cube game, a travel guide to Canada from 1993 (?), assorted Yu-Gi-Oh! cards and an immersion blender (we had one already). You can imagine how thrilled I was. I have absolutely nothing at all against second-hand stuff, it's just the sheer amount of it that gets dragged in here on a weekly basis. Oh well. I guess it's teaching the kids the value of a Euro. Or something.

The weather was beautiful on the weekend - still a bit chilly but sunny enough to sit outside so we threw some marinated squid and vegetables on the grill on Friday and had a lovely meal. To go with it I made a couple of whole wheat sun-dried tomato and fresh herb baguettes that turned out really well and were great sliced as bruschetta with various toppings. Yesterday we had felafel pizza, a recipe I tried out for the first time. It was really interesting and I think I'd make it again although the food critics were not all that enthusiastic and Boy9 refused to even try it, however his vote doesn't count since he lives on air anyway.

In other news: as fate would have it, today is my mother's AND my mother-in-law's birthday.
I miss my mum so much - 7850 km is a long way away and sometimes email just doesn't cut it. She really is one of my best friends and a wonderful role model. My two younger brothers and my dad held a surprise party for her 69th yesterday and I'm waiting to hear about the details. Tonight we're getting all tarted up and going to the Pfannkuchen Haus to celebrate Oma's 71st. It's a pretty rustic place but the kids love it and it's right around the corner from Oma and Opa's so they don't have far to go. And you can order anything you like as long as it's pancakes!

1 Comments:

At April 25, 2005 8:13 PM, Blogger J said...

Hi,

Thanks for visiting my blog. You had a sunny weekend? It was cold. cloudy and rainy here.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.