Wednesday, April 27, 2005

warts and all

Very grateful today that this is not happening in MY neighbourhood. Yuck.

I phoned Vancouver on Monday to wish my mum all the best and ask why they had such a big party for her 69th birthday. Turns out that dear old Dad had miscalculated and told everyone she was turning 70 and my brothers were too clueless to figure it out for themselves. Men. During the party someone asked Dad how old I was, and he said "Oh, she must be about 25". Isn't that sweet? I guess when you're almost 76 you're allowed to make mistakes, especially those kind! Mum was right in the middle of making a cake from a Nigella Lawson recipe when I called. She didn't have a scale and was desperate to know how much 300 g of flour and 100 g of sugar was. Yeah, Canada went metric a long time ago but it looks like SOME people got left behind. So still talking on the phone, I ran to the kitchen, got out my little scale and measured everything out for her, converting it into cups and tablespoons, and she was happy as a clam. My good deed for the day.

Mr. M. has to leave straight from work today for a business trip and won't be home until late Thursday evening. Poor thing - 4 1/2 hours on the train each way and a crappy hotel that he's stayed in before. That means I'll be sleeping all alone in the big ol' king size waterbed tonight. Why a waterbed? No, not what you think. Mr. M. is 6'4" and when he moved into his first apartment in 1988 and went shopping for a new bed, the waterbed was the only one long enough for him. So his bed became our bed. We're on our third mattress now - they get kind of brittle after a while (no, they don't explode, they just spring a slow leak and dribble 800 litres of water everywhere) -but I wouldn't trade this bed for anything. Downside of sleeping alone: no 220 lb. hot water bottle to warm my freezing feet. But on the other hand, no snoring! And I can read in bed! All night if I want to! I have a huge pile of books on my side of the bed that I haven't got around to reading yet because His Royal Highness says I turn the pages too loudly. Hmphh.

Yesterday's English class at the library went well. I have two groups of 8 children each who come on alternate weeks and this week it was the wild group's turn but they were OK. We did prepositions. Woo hoo. A couple of days ago I was searching for tongue twisters to do with them and came across this one (which I did NOT use):

I'm not a fig plucker, nor a fig plucker's son
But I can pluck figs 'til the fig plucker comes.

Nice, eh? Try saying THAT ten times in a row with your mouth full of crackers. Who makes these things up anyway?

1 Comments:

At April 30, 2005 9:03 a.m., Blogger SwissTwist said...

Apologies for the very late comment, I've only just discovered your blog.
My 6'7" hubby and I nearly ended up with a waterbed too! We eventually found a place who would have a big and long enough bed custom made for us, at a substantial cost, of course.
I have a week in this huge bed without him when he travels to Germany in May, won't be any fun, I'm sure.
Hope you got lots of reading done.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.